Author Topic: Low Carb Recipes Needed  (Read 21446 times)

Offline Thermobron

• View Profile
Low Carb Recipes Needed
« on: October 08, 2009, 10:14:07 am »

Hi there,

I have only had my thermomix for 2 weeks now and am loving it. The only problem being I find most of the recipes are carb based and I'm running out of options to cook at night. (Diet is no carb at night)

I would love some ideas or books I should look at with thermomix recipes. I am yet to get the Cydie O'Meara book but not sure how low carb her recipes are.

Thanks
Bronte
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:14:16 am by Master Moderator »
Thermobron
Perth, WA

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
Re: Low Carb Recipes Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 03:51:26 pm »
Cyndi is not of the low carb persuasion so if that is your arguement don't get her book specifically for that.  I find that it is easiest to siimply replace rice accompaniments with steamed veggies to get lower carb content.  Obviously avoid the high dairy content meals too...........be interested if you get many recipes with this request.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 01:43:42 am »
I try and minimise my pasta, but the family loves spaghetti bolognaise.  So I steam my favourite vegies like cauliflower, brocolli, zucchinni, squash and have that under my bolognaise instead of the spaghetti.  I actually prefer this!  Especially the cauliflower as it can be so creamy when cooked just right.

You could adapt this idea for other recipes maybe?  What about beef stroganoff (it's delicious), chicken & cashews served on vegies instead of rice or pasta?  Or have you tried the meatloaf from EDC?  Or maybe shepherds pie with mashed pumpkin instead of potato?  I think pumpkins much lower in carbs than potato?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 02:13:58 am »
What about Chicken Cacciatore Casserole by Judy Dawn?  As per my review, next time I'm going to make it without the potato so this would be low carb.  I think this would be nice on the extra steamed vegies like my previous posted suggestion.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1955.msg18778#msg18778
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:31:37 am »
i do low carb, and would be interested in recipes.
i just adapt alot to suit myself.

add more veges, and no potato.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Thermobron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 01:41:29 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies, it has help a lot.

Next on the menu is the meatloaf which I am looking forward to.

I will subsitute the pasta and rice for vegies.

Thanks again

Bronte
Thermobron
Perth, WA

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 10:47:57 pm »
Hi Bronte, I am following a low carb diet, and have been now for over 3 months. I eat soups, purees, stews, salads, shellfish, steamed fish and poultry, moussaka etc and make everything in THX, in fact couldnt have suceeded with my weight loss without my THX! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermobron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 03:41:26 pm »
Thanks Amanda,

Well done on your successful weight loss.

I think as the thermomix is new I am wanting to cook naughty things.....I made the meatloaf with tomato sauce tonight, which was a bit fiddly but so yummy. First time using the Varoma and it was easy.

I hope your weight loss efforts continue, I have a very long road but am just doing it slowly.

Bronte
Thermobron
Perth, WA

vivacity

Re: Low Carb Recipes Needed - Lemon and coriander chicken
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 06:10:32 pm »
This is quite an old thread but I've just bought a book with easiy low carb recipes which I'm very pleased with. My husband has been told to restrict his intake of carbs to breakfast and lunch and then leave them out as much as possible after that. This is supposed to help him lower his triglyceride levels (that and taking medication). Over the past three weeks he has lost 6 kilos and finds it really easy to follow this diet.

I bought the book "The Holford Low-GL Diet Cookbook" used off Amazon and I can thoroughly recommend it. What I really appreciate is that there are also vegetarian recipes in there so it's not all steak and salad, chicken and salad, ad nauseum. The authors are Patrick Holford and Fiona McDonald Joyce, Piatkus.

Here's an example for a recipe from the book:

Lemon and coriander chicken en papillote (Serves 2)

2 chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and skin
2 handfuls of bean sprouts
2 handfuls of baby corn (about eight)
2 tsp mild chili, deseeeded and finally chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp fresh root ginger, peeled and finally chopped
1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp tamari
2 tsp lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
2. Cut a large square of baking paper (big enough to fold in half, diagonally, over the chicken breasts and seal up the edges to make a triangular-shaped parcel) and place on a baking sheet.
3. Mix the chicken, bean sprouts and baby corn together with the rest of the ingredients.
4. Place in the middle of the square of paper and fold in half on the diagonal, point to point, to make a triangle. Starting at an end, make small overlapping folds around the edge, working your way round to seal the parcel.
5. Bake for 25 minutes. Open the parcel with care, as you'll want to retain the cooking liquid and dish out onto two plates.  Serve with 45g brown basmati rice (dry weight).

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:20:12 am »
Thanks Viv - looks interesting.  Good to see you back here  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Mezza39

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 01:35:27 pm »
I am also on low carb at night diet, try the CSIRO diet books, they have a lot of recipes like coq au vin, beef stroganoff etc that might be helpful. Unfortunately I'm too much of a newbie to help with conversions!

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 10:06:07 pm »
I try my hardest to stick to a Primal type diet, if you google primal recipes you will find that they are all low carb ( or good carb in the form of vegetables ) the TM makes like much easier with lots of steamed veg, I also make "cauliflower rice " steamed rice just slightly blitzed for a few seconds to resemble rice. I actually prefer it to rice as you don't get that bloated feeling afterwards.

Offline Mezza39

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 02:05:05 am »
Thanks Deeau, what a great idea. I imagine that would be a good way to get cauliflower into the kids diet as well. What speed and how long do you blitz for?

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 02:27:16 am »
Just a tiny amount maybe a second, I look thru the hole to see if its looks like rice.

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 02:36:11 am »
So I steam my favourite vegies like cauliflower, brocolli, zucchinni, squash and have that under my bolognaise instead of the spaghetti.  I actually prefer this!  Especially the cauliflower as it can be so creamy when cooked just right.

What a wonderful tip.  I am doing the Hi Protein Low Carb thing at the moment, so am also looking for ways to adapt recipes.  I have two books, both were available at the local newsagent.  "The Power of Protein" by Chris Smith and "The Power of Protein Low Carb Recipes" by Chris Smith.  Both have some lovely low carb recipes in them, and they were not too pricey.  I am going to try adapting some of them shortly.  (expect some queries please ;D)
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/