Author Topic: Protein Smoothie (Cyndi O'Meara) - Sim  (Read 23032 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Protein Smoothie (Cyndi O'Meara) - Sim
« on: September 29, 2009, 03:45:58 am »

Its not a baking recipe but its a really good breakfast that will use up that yogurt pretty quick, it keeps me full until lunch

Protein Smoothie (Cyndi O'Meara) Makes 2 large glasses
1 tbs almonds
2 tbs oats
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup yogurt
2 bananas, chopped into chunks
1 blob honey
1 egg
1 tbs macadamia oil

Finely mill oats and almonds, then add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth. Yum!
(I didn't add specific TM instructions, cos its pretty straight forward)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: Protein Smoothie (Cyndi O'Meara) - Sim
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:50:19 am »
Great timing Thermomixer. I am looking for high protein drinks for my 15yrDS who is an open water swimmer and growing at such a rate of knots I am having trouble getting him to eat enough to meet his body's needs. Thank you. :-*
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 03:57:37 am »
Thanks to Sim for posting it in the Slow-cooker yoghurt thread - I just transferred it. :-[
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:21:15 am »
Thanks Sim  :D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Sim

• Owner of a Melbourne-Based Cookie Company ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:30:56 am »
No worries...
It's my favourite breakfast to have in the mornings. (besides pancakes with lots of berries and syrup, lol)

Offline Sim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:37:41 am »
Just a few variations

Add an extra egg for more protein

Her also recipe calls for 1 tbs of colloidal minerals, but I have never added this because its very expensive and works about to be $1 per tbs. Its meant to be very good for you.

Macadamia oil can be replaced with flaxseed or avocado oil, but always choose cold-pressed oils (they're better for you)

Banana can be replaced with any fruit you like.

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 02:26:26 pm »
Hi, thanks for posting this here, I am reading Cyndi's book at the moment and I had a question about this recipe when making it in the Thermomix.

Where it states to use 1 cup of orange juice do you think you could just chuck in one orange (rind removed) instead?

Patsy in Brisbane

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 03:56:59 pm »
I'd juice it first and see how much you get. It would be a good idea.

Offline Sim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 08:19:37 am »
I've actually just starting putting in a whole orange + water. Its so much easier, and you get the benefit of eating the whole fruit, fibre included.

Just make sure you blend it well, if its too thick, just add water and blend some more.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 03:11:18 pm »
I add the colloidial minerals - the ones I got are Australian and not too exxy - less then $20 a bottle vs imported ones that are over $40. The recipe in her 21 day program also has green powder (eg Spirulina). Now THAT is hard to get used too :P Mind you, the results seem to be worth it.

Offline Thermo Jo (aka Jodi)

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 03:22:53 am »
I made this today and all I can say is YUMMO!

DH & I have been having smoothies for quite some time for breakfast but they were getting quite expensive to make because we used protein powder, a lot more nuts and lots of milk. (Milk doesn't sit too well in my tummy).

We tried it this morning and both went MMMMmmmm! at the same time. :-*

Love it!

Smoothies are back on the breakfast menu!
 ;D
Demonstrator in training!
Converted for life!

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 09:59:48 am »
I agree this is yummy.

I have always included both colloidal minerals & "green stuff" - which makes it an interesting colour.  (Need to go back to the greasy fry up if you've had a "big night"!!0
One thing I do do to reduce calories slightly is buy the frozen cartons of egg whites (or freeze your own when you have recipes that call for yolks only). I cut the carton in half when still frozen & let the other half thaw in the fridge & use that instead of whole eggs - about 1/3 cup per smoothie.  It doesn't change the flavour but increases the protein content.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 12:14:09 am »
I too love this smoothie and use the Collodial Minerals and Spirulina. I got them at the health food shop and found they weren't too expensive, especially if you compare it to some other breakfasts that you could have.  It's very filling and I have usually have a little bit left over for morning tea. I wish I could get my kids interested. My DD7 tried some the other day and said she prefers her whole fruit smoothies. I also use whole orange and sometimes lime and find that I then only need to add a small amount of water.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 09:17:00 am »
My kids love them. I do berries/frozen banana and a fresh fruit.  I add the colloidial minerals and maca powder for them -  Iadd the spirulina for me after I have served theirs. Got them ( 2 and 4 yro) onto it by sprinkling the home made milo onto it and have slowly stopped doing that - and they now love it.

Sometimes I grind some raw cacao and tell them there is chocolate in it if they need encouragement.

I love these smoothies!

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 12:18:39 pm »
This morning I added what was left of a lime that I had a juiced. It really added a nice tasty zing to smoothie. The lime will be in the mix from now on.
Sue from North Queensland