Author Topic: Recipe Review - Mushroom Soup - EDC  (Read 21425 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Recipe Review - Mushroom Soup - EDC
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:05:37 am »
Recipe Name:  Mushroom Soup
Book Name:  EDC
Tweaking details:
Review: very easy
Score: (out of 5*)  3/5

A very simple, quick recipe.  If you like mushroom soup, give it a try.
I love mushrooms, but I prefer them cooked in other ways, not in a soup.  I've remembered that after making the soup!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Recipe Review - Mushroom Soup - EDC
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:17:26 am »
 :( Bad luck - wasted some mushies?  Wondering, was the 3/5 because it wasn't a good recipe from taste point of view? 

Would some dried mushrooms blitzed into powder help it? Did you use water or stock?

Cheers
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 12:37:53 pm »
I think it was a good recipe, very easy and tasty.  But I'd much rather have sauteed mushrooms with bacon and garlic on a piece of home made toast.  Purely personal preference.

I've never tried dried mushrooms - could help.  I used water, with two big spoonfuls of stock concentrate.  I left out the lemon as DH is allergic.

Side note- DD4 thought it was chocolate.  I explained it wasn't and she tried it and ate quite a few spoonfuls.  First time she's had soup so that went well!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:09:53 pm »

Side note- DD4 thought it was chocolate.  I explained it wasn't and she tried it and ate quite a few spoonfuls.  First time she's had soup so that went well!

If she were an only child you might be able to get away with it for a few years  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline naturokathy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 12:15:47 am »
 :)  I love the mushroom soup.  I've cooked it for several dinner parties and it was well received.  I've also cooked another soup to offer both as some people just don't like mushrooms.  I use swiss brown mushrooms as they have more flavour.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 12:35:36 am »
Update - DH had some for dinner last night and really liked it.  And he's not a big soup fan.  Everybody likes different things.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 03:27:22 pm »
I made this yesterday and we had some for tea tonight with pizza.  Had no cream so added a dollop of Philly cream cheese but I won't be doing it again.  Colour - yuk, taste - too strong (maybe with button mushrooms it would be more subtle), DH's comments after eating half of it - I don't really like this, can't eat anymore.  I ate all mine but wasn't that wrapped in it myself. 2.5 out of 5 for me and that is only because it was easy to make. I love mushrooms but no, not like this.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Anaise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 03:43:04 am »
I made this and it was tasty.  But I didn't like the brown colour of the soup.  I didn't have cream so I substituted yoghurt.  Maybe cream would have made the colour more appetising like shown in the photo.
It was still delicious though.

Offline LesleyAnne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 04:48:13 pm »
I made this the other day.  I didn't have any cream but would have probably substituted natural yoghurt (but I didn't have that either!).  It was very mushroomy (surprise!) and a disgusting colour (due to lack of cream/yoghurt/philly) but it tasted nice.
Lesley - Murcia, Spain

Offline AnnieG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 10:56:26 am »
Tried the mushroom soup today. Was a bit flummoxed by 30g parsley, that's a lot and the soup was very salty. The flavour was ok but spoiled by the salt in the vege stock. I will use far less next time and leave out the parsley except at the end.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 11:24:06 pm »
Welcome AnnieG.  Sorry to hear about the disaster.  Need to let Tenina know
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 01:15:35 am »
Hi & welcome AnnieG.  I didn't like the mushroom soup either but the mushroom sauce is good. Have you made anything else and were you happy with that.  Try some of the recipes from the forum, some have reviews which give you a good indication of what the recipe is like.  Others have tweaking details and I find it very helpful to read what others say or do with a particular recipe.   Happy thermomixing, let us know of your successes and failures - always someone here to help you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 11:56:24 pm »
I cooked this yesterday and really liked it - but I do like mushroom soup. I didn't have any parsley so made it without. I think it does actually need parsley to balance the lemon juice in the soup. It was certainly a quick and easy soup!

My score is 4/5

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 12:50:16 pm »
We loved this soup - made it with swiss browns and only did about a third of the quantity so very much by feel - but is was delicious and SO QUICK. 5/5

Offline ruth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 12:53:22 pm »
I made this tonight and really liked it. 

I could only get normal mushrooms, and substituted 600ml milk and 100ml water for the water.  I used 1 1/2 tbls stock (but mine is made with less salt than the EDC book)  and only a bit of cream on top in my bowl.  I only used a small handful of parsley (it weighed in at 10gm but not sure how accurate that was) and a bit less lemon juice. 

I needed to use my stick blender to get rid of all the lumps for my daughter and it was nicer like that, not sure if I could have got that consistency with the TMX, I will have to try blending it more next time.