Author Topic: Recipe Review - Meatloaf  (Read 12309 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Recipe Review - Meatloaf
« on: September 23, 2009, 01:49:37 am »
Recipe Name: Meatloaf
Book Name: Every Day Cookbook
Tweaking details: none
Review: very nice and easy
Score: (out of 5*) 4

I don't bother "stuffing" or "wrapping" the meatloaf - too fiddly for me.  But the recipe is delicious and moist, and leftovers are really nice sliced on sandwiches.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline GNMI

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Meatloaf
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 02:40:02 pm »
I followed the recipe - even mincing my own meat and the mixture was GREAT.  I still prefer it oven baked for the crispy crust, but making the meat mix Thermi was too easy.  The red sauce was very tasty too - i like it quite salty so I added a good teaspoon of vegeta to it.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:42:04 am »
I cooked this tonight for the first time and we all really loved it.  I had always flicked past the recipe because it looked too complicated, but was surprised by how easy it was to put together.  I rolled 3 hard-boiled eggs, Edam cheese slices and some smoked leg ham into the meatloaf.  I used gladwrap to "roll it" and it was super quick and easy.

I found the red sauce a little rich so didn't pour too much over the meatloaf and served it with lot's of steamed carrot and broccoli  (I popped these in the varoma dish with the meatloaf with 20 minutes to go).  I will probably add some kidney beans to the leftover sauce and serve it over pasta tomorrow night with some grated cheese on top.

:)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:22:17 pm »
Thanks for the review Chelsea - 2 pages for 1 recipe has made me flick right past it too.  Perhaps one day I might try it.  I know meatloaf is my neighbour's favourite meal so perhaps I could invite them over to enjoy it with us. It doesn't say but I presume it would serve 4 people?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:25:27 pm »
It does look like a daunting recipe.  But don't forget there are two sauce alternatives, so that's 1/2 a page you don't need.  It's really easy!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 07:50:53 am »
I've skipped it also. I think I'll give it a try. We're becoming used to recipes that need the sauce over to make them look nice. It took a while to get used to things without the brown cooking marks on them. I guess I could always brown things first but that defeats the purpose of the easiness of the TMX.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 11:02:02 am »
This meatloaf doesn't look too bad without the sauce as it is wrapped in bacon, unlike steamed meatballs  :o.  As Cathy said the leftover meatloaf is delicious as sandwich meat the following day.  We also had the leftover sauce reheated (with a can of kidney beans added) and it made a lovely pasta sauce. I would definitely recommend people trying this recipe as I know we were very pleasantly surprised.  :)

P.S - I think it would serve 4 hungry adults (perhaps with a little leftover) with a nice green salad and some of Isi's lovely rolls ;).

Offline mum23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 04:54:28 am »
This one gets a thumbs up from me also!
My first attempt was so yummy I made my Mum and Dad one for their dinner the next night and they loved it also.
Very easy! I actually coooked mine in the varoma then popped in the oven for about another 15 mins (i think) to crisp it up a bit. (not keen on the steamed meat idea)

Has anyone tried the mushy sauce??

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 05:23:35 am »
Has anyone tried the mushy sauce??
Yes, and you can read about it here:(
I haven't tried it again.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 10:30:03 am »
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 01:19:16 pm »
Old post, I know.

I made this tonight, but was too chicken to steam the meatloaf. I baked it earlier in the day and made the sauce as I had a meeting. When I came home, I then re-heated the sauce in the  *: and put the meatloaf in the Varoma to re-heat.

Delicious!

Changes I made:

I didn't have 2 cans of tomatoes, so used 1 and 1/2 a can of water, plus 2 tsp vege stock. Added 2 large Tbsp of tomato paste.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline kazart1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 01:00:09 pm »
I made the meatloaf tonight as my first ever dinner using the varoma ( I am a newbie to thermies )........I made it with the mushroom sauce version and the sauce was to die for !!!   Didnt have ham for the middle to I pressed four boiled eggs along the middle section before rolling, added some shaved parmesan and some spicy red sauce. Wrapping the bacon around as advised was a pain(  but it occurred to me after ) that if the bacon was laid out on the wrap ( the baking paper or foil ) and the meat mix pressed down on top of that then its all ready to roll up once the filling it put in the middle.
I also finished the meatloaf off in the oven for an extra few minutes to crisp up the bacon.
My husband who has been very hesitant about me buying a thermomix in the first place LOVED LOVED LOVED his dinner tonight done this way. I also steamed some cabbage ( his fav )  new potatoes and extra mushrooms in the varoma with the meatloaf....all came out perfect

OH and by the way did I say the mushroom sauce was to die for ??!!   LOL

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 01:45:57 pm »
Thanks for the review Kaz.  I have never made this recipe but having read the reviews again tonight, it does make me want to try it. I think I would use proscuitto instead of bacon to wrap the meatloaf, it's easier to wrap and I would do it the way you thought of too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 10:01:17 am »
We loved this. Very tasty and so moist. Was not sure about steaming meatloaf but it was fine. I did grill it a little in the oven at the end to get crispy bacon.  Puréed the red sauce and it went orange. Oops! Plenty leftover sauce so have frozen for use as chicken parmigianas.