Author Topic: Herb & Garlic Pull Apart - With photo  (Read 41800 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Herb & Garlic Pull Apart - With photo
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 10:35:33 am »
They look superb ES ;D Laughed at the steamed caterpillar,at least it was organic :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 11:35:33 am »
ES, looks so much better than the original.  Great ideas there, no wonder your family were happy.  :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 12:34:05 pm »
That looks delicious Sue. A big compliment saying it was like Bakers' Delight.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermolicious

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 12:47:19 pm »
Oh ta for the recipe.  Definitely on the to-do list.  Pics look divine :)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:01 pm »
ES, what a great job you did.

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Bec8112

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 09:58:16 pm »
Emeraldsue it looks amazing! How did you fold/put it in the dish? I want to make one but not sure how to go about it. Is it a pie/quiche dish?

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 12:17:25 am »
Yes, I used my quiche dishes -  one was china and the other silicone. I lined it with baking paper which I wet, crumpled, straightened out again and roughly pushed into the dish. ( a tip I learned from my neighbour ). When it was cooked, it was easy to remove just by grabbing the paper on two opposite sides, and lifting it out of the quiche dish.
The dough rose very well, so I put it on my Ikea pastry mat which I had dusted with a  little flour, and rolled it out into a large rectangle.

I then slathered on the toppings quite thickly.

You can see that I put the ham and cheese topping on the right, and the spinach topping on the left.
I then used my plastic pastry cutting tool that came with the mat to cut it into vertical strips about 6 cm wide, starting in the middle to separate the two different toppings. After I had cut the strips, I made one cut crosswise to cut the whole thing in two, to make the strips half their original size.
I then picked up the top of the first strip,  and stretched it out, trying not to dislodge too much of the topping, until the end of the strip is still on the mat. It stretches quite a lot as you pick it up. I then moved my hand backwards and forwards, so that the dough folds back on itself in a concertina fashion, also slowly moving my hand downwards as the dough folds down on itself. Once it has been folded up, I picked it up and placed it sideways into the dish, so that if you were to pull one end, it would unfold. This is what makes the sections pull apart once it's cooked. I then did the same to the next strip and nestled it next to the first strip in the dish. I then continued until all the strips had been folded and put in the dish. This is not a neat exercise and no precision is required!

You can then bake it straight away, or do as I did, and cover with a tea towel, take it to your SIL's and bake it it her oven 30-45 min later.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Bec8112

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 12:30:04 am »
Thanks for all the help, I am going to try it next week when it is my turn to take in a morning tea to work.  I would have to bake the night before so hope it stays looking yummy!

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 01:10:10 am »
ES - that's a brilliant description of how you achieved those wonderful looking breads.  There is a youtube that shows how to do this but, oh my, it's hard to watch as the camera moves so much.  Here's the link if anyone would like to see it . . .the actual folding bit is about half way through the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu8B11d8s5Y
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:14:50 am by goldfish »

Offline Bec8112

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 01:34:55 am »
Thanks for the video link goldfish, hard to watch but the idea is clearer in my mind now.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 04:46:27 am »
Thanks for posting the link to the video goldfish. I agree that the video is hard to watch, but it's easier to understand by watching someone do it, than by trying to interpret written words.
Bec8112, I hope that you enjoy them as much as we did.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 04:53:49 am »
I've used that method for garlic bread but can't imagine trying to do it with dough that is packed with ingredients - i imagine they would just fall out everywhere  ???

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 05:02:58 am »
Wonder, some of the topping did fall off, but not as much as you may think. I just scooped up the excess topping and added it to the next strip. At the end, there was a little topping left over, but i just tucked it in amongst the folds. It is a messy process, but's it's all contained on the pastry mat, so is easy to deal with. As I said before, no precision is necessary!  :P

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 05:23:28 am »
ES,  this looks great.   Love the photo and thanks for the instructions.  Another BREAD TRAGIC.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 10:09:10 pm »
Looks fab.

A bread tragic chookie..... Is that what I am. My bread genie was let out long ago. Now looking at soaping, me thinks on this basis I could easily be a soap tragic too!