Author Topic: Exploring the TM5  (Read 35316 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring the TM5
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 03:53:33 am »
Well done Allen. Bread making is my favourite pastime. I'm afraid I tend to eat it too.
Thanks, cookie I share your pastime, and by your user name I beat you make one great cookie too ;D

Thanks Allen. My Dad nicknamed me Cookie about 65 years ago and he was the only person permitted to call me that. I loved cooking then too, and as you say love cooking cookies, and cakes too.

You are certainly doing well with your thermomix, I really love seeing what you have been making.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2016, 06:05:10 am »
Love the bread Allen. Had to laugh about you eating Tilapia. It is considered a pest in Far North Queensland  waters and is often the target of the government workers plus local volunteers to clean them out of our waterways. There is sometimes a bounty on them and of course they are destroyed. Meanwhile we import them into our supermarkets from countries that harvest them from polluted waterways and pay a good price for them crumbed and frozen plus they are used in fish cakes, fish bites,fish fingers and such like. Go figure. You cannot buy tilapia in the fish shop and most Australians would not knowlinging eat it but happily do so unawares it is used in just about all imported fish products.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2016, 09:10:15 am »
Something else to watch for. I always check for Basa as I believe that comes from polluted waterways.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2016, 12:57:03 am »
Thermilover, Thanks for reading and comments, you are right about reducing the sugar, sounds like my sister. But I love to eat and I cook with sugar, whole eggs and real butter. ;D

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2016, 01:25:21 am »
Love the bread Allen. Had to laugh about you eating Tilapia. It is considered a pest in Far North Queensland  waters and is often the target of the government workers plus local volunteers to clean them out of our waterways. There is sometimes a bounty on them and of course they are destroyed.

Hi Gert

It really is true one person's trash is another person's treasure. If you go south in the states I am talking about Florida Tilapia is sold all over and on many restaurants menus. It is mainly sold fillets either deep fried or grilled, serve on a fresh bun. It is pretty darn good (this is a good thing). If you ever have the chance to try it you should, if prepared right you will enjoy it.

Allen

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2016, 01:31:33 am »
New England clam chowder (my way)

I have been looking to make some New England clam chowder so I read the basic cookbook recipe and have been looking recipes up on the web. I did not have all the ingredients for the TMX cookbook so I pick one off the web but it was a stove top recipe, so it was time for me to mix the cookbook and the web to make it My Way, it started with a basic soup base onion, carrots and celery then I add potatoes, next came some GP flour, butter, half and half, red wine vinegar and finish it with salt, pepper and clams. I had some hiccups and need to work on the ingredients measurements, cook times and temperature, but when it was done I had a bowl for lunch. My DW had some with her dinner, her first comment was it’s not bad, but after dinner and she was done she told me that she like the chowder. With a little more work I should have a working recipe to share.

For dinner I pull a bag of leftover spaghetti sauce out of the freezer from last week, after cooking the spaghetti in the TMX I dump the hot water into a bowl and drop the bag of sauce in the bowl using the hot water to reheat my sauce, there you go another complete meal cook by my TM5.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:34:47 am by Allen USA »

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2016, 01:48:06 am »
I love New England Clam Chowder. Epicurious on the web has an excellent NE Clam Chowder recipe that I have made many times to rave reviews. The only liquid it has is clam juice. It's an expensive recipe to make but very delicious. I have not tried converting to TMX. You would have to halve the recipe for TMX because it makes a large pot.
From Perth WA

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2016, 04:33:04 am »
Love New England Clam Chowder. When you perfect your recipe Allen be sure to post it. Clams are not so popular in Australia but are available in cans, some in shell cooked from Blueskin Bay on the Otago coastline of New Zealand. These are available in the refrigerated section of Coles for us Aussies. Some fishmongers get fresh Australian raw clams. A 800 gm can Viander brand  of Vongole Al Naturale from Spain costs about $10 and has plenty of juice for the Epicurious recipe albeit a lot of salt. A 280 gm can of Condor baby clams has 50% water in it and comes from China.

In the past before clams became available in Australia I use to substitute oysters but of course they have a much stronger flavour.

I am originally from Syracuse NY and have lived in Miami as well Allen. Hard to believe I have been here 51years.

Hopefully there will soon be some more Thermomix USA recipes for you. We do not have half and half here so for those who don't know it is a blend of equal parts whole milk and light cream, and it has a 10 to 12% fat content. ... There are four ways to achieve approximately the same fat content as half-and-half by blending milk, butter, light cream, or heavy cream together in various combinations.

Also GP or general purpose flour here is called plain flour.

If you have not visited superkitchenmachine.com then please do Allen. Helene has a lot of very good recipes for Americans but with great affinity to us Aussies.

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2016, 11:17:38 am »
I love New England Clam Chowder. Epicurious on the web has an excellent NE Clam Chowder recipe

Thank you, Great looking recipe :)

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2016, 11:36:32 am »
Hi Gert,

Thanks for sharing superkitchenmachine.com first time I have been there. The following that the TMX has, might be the best part of owning one, with web sites like this one and some many others, the world becomes a little smaller. We all get to share great food recipes and by cooking them we all become a little closer together.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2016, 12:13:50 pm »
Too true Allen. When I bought mine back in 2008 there were very few English speaking websites, now there are so many you can't keep up with them.   
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2016, 12:42:48 pm »
Allen you have been very busy again. Well done.

Gert we are so lucky that you came here from the U S. Their loss and our gain. Do you think you are ever likely to go back for a visit?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2016, 04:58:59 pm »
I've never eaten Clam Chowder so look forward to seeing your recipe Allen ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cyberider

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2016, 10:01:49 pm »
Great thread, Allen, a very interesting read.  Will be looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Dave (also in the USA)

New England clam chowder (my way)

I have been looking to make some New England clam chowder so I read the basic cookbook recipe and have been looking recipes up on the web. I did not have all the ingredients for the TMX cookbook so I pick one off the web but it was a stove top recipe, so it was time for me to mix the cookbook and the web to make it My Way, it started with a basic soup base onion, carrots and celery then I add potatoes, next came some GP flour, butter, half and half, red wine vinegar and finish it with salt, pepper and clams. I had some hiccups and need to work on the ingredients measurements, cook times and temperature, but when it was done I had a bowl for lunch. My DW had some with her dinner, her first comment was it’s not bad, but after dinner and she was done she told me that she like the chowder. With a little more work I should have a working recipe to share.

For dinner I pull a bag of leftover spaghetti sauce out of the freezer from last week, after cooking the spaghetti in the TMX I dump the hot water into a bowl and drop the bag of sauce in the bowl using the hot water to reheat my sauce, there you go another complete meal cook by my TM5.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2016, 10:36:56 pm »
Allen you have been very busy again. Well done.

Gert we are so lucky that you came here from the U S. Their loss and our gain. Do you think you are ever likely to go back for a visit?

Never say never but I have not been back for some years now. I think my last trip back was a trip through the Napa Valley. And..........clam chowder in San Francisco!

Gert