Author Topic: Review of Polish Vanilla Slice in 2016 Calendar Tenina by CP  (Read 2646 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Review of Polish Vanilla Slice in 2016 Calendar Tenina by CP
« on: September 23, 2015, 02:47:01 am »
 Imade it last weekend, and I think I cooked the pastry slabs for approx 15 mins each. I read this recipe through about 20 times before I made it but I didn't read the last line which says the slice should be made the day before and rested in the fridge. I made the choux pastry the day before and the custard, and then assembled  it in the morning and served for lunch at about 2pm. Still worked, and there was some leftover which tasted beautiful the next day also. Will definitely make again.

Linked JM
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:52:10 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Review of Polish Vanilla Slice in 2016 Calendar Tenina by CP
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 04:44:43 am »
We had this for dessert last night with guests. It is important to remember that this needs to be made the day before. I was lucky and CP had mentioned it in her review.
We really enjoyed it. I cut the sugar by about 30g but did find the slice wasn't quite sweet enough. I made sure I put a fair bit of icing sugar on it and served it with a mango coulis.
One guest said that the pastry was tough, I hit him, and said he was lucky to have any. (it was ok it was my brother) I did point out that he wasn't expecting choux pastry. His wife loved it.
A definite 5/5 from us.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Review of Polish Vanilla Slice in 2016 Calendar Tenina by CP
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 09:57:16 am »
glad you hit him cookie  ;D yes, its not the flaky soft pastry that most people probably expect, but hey thats how they must do it in Poland  ;)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand