Author Topic: Five Seed bread - replaces Cape Seed Bread in EDC book  (Read 43432 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Five Seed bread - replaces Cape Seed Bread in EDC book
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 09:46:39 am »
Ceejay, can I ask where you got your clay pot? What size and shape is it?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 10:40:07 am »
Meaganjane I think she might be using a Romertopf  (I could be wrong!)   :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 03:28:53 am »
I've not heard of a Romertopf  before, so I went to the website. Sounds fascinating! I must look out for one.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline sabimby

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 05:19:48 am »
This is my favourite bread to make and eat... it is so easy, just kneed it in TM and then scrape into pan... My almost 3 year old eats it too which is good  ;D

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 06:17:46 am »
Ceejay, can I ask where you got your clay pot? What size and shape is it?

Mine was in an op shop MJ.  $7 if I remember correctly, it is a Romertopf - the smaller size. :)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 09:50:35 am »
I've seen Caroline W (are your parents still here??) talk about a Romeltopf but haven't had the time to go & look at what they are - just did & realised I have one in my cupboard!!!  A friend who emigrated to the US recently gave it to me - I just thought it was a casserole!

Can someone tell me when do you do the soaking, for how long & how many times are you letting this bread rise?  When I have made it for cooking classes I just do the one rising & put it into a hot oven & it's been fabulous.....perhaps it could be even more so.  Would love some advice.

Offline AMH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 08:58:55 am »
I know I'm bumping this but the discussion re the Romertopf seemed kind of unfinished too!   ;)

So I made this on the weekend and it was delicious!  Can I just point out that using a tin is NOT optional?  I thought I'd make a free form loaf-those of you who are bread geniuses will have a giggle at the picture of me scraping the liquidy dough into the tin halfway through the rise!  I used a square cake tin 15 cm x 15cm x 15 cm and it was perfect.  Increased the kneading time to 3 min and just did the one (short because I was disorganised!) rise and put it in a cool oven (my oven is gas and warms up quickly).  I let it cool for 5 min before turning out and the crust was not crunchy but the bread was beautiful. 

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 12:21:47 pm »
Oh dear  ;D ;D ;D yes, this is one dough that definitely needs a tin! Worth it though as it is a yummy bread.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 12:46:40 pm »
Am glad you bumped it AMH, l had just been looking at this in the EDC and thinking l'd give it a go.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 06:20:28 am »
It's lovely. Helene also has one on her blog that she has made adapted from the 5 seed bread.
http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2009/3000/dark-thermomix-seed-bread-recipe.html
I actually like this more than the original 5 seed bread.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 06:22:40 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline KatieV

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 04:39:34 am »
I finally used the last of the shop bought bread that I had in my freezer (I've only had my machine for a little over a month) and then panicked as to what I would have for lunch the next day......  Thankfully, my brain has undergone extensive TM re-wiring and I realised that I don't need to go to the shops to buy another expensive loaf, filled with all sorts of nasty additives, I can make my own.

So that's what I did.  My DH came home last night to the smell of fresh baking bread in the oven.  I was amazed when he said he wanted to try it.  I advised him that it was a grain bread and he probably wouldn't like it.  He insisted that since it was created in the TM (he's a huge fan of it) he just had to try it.  Well to my complete amazement he loved it.  This is a person who simply won't eat grain bread normally, he hates all the hard bits.  The difference with this loaf was that the bits weren't hard.

I'm tickled pink that he likes this as it is soooo much better for him than normal white bread (he doesn't really like wholemeal either).

So there we go, another success and a change of eating habits to a more healthy alternative all thanks to Thermomix - what a champ!   ;)

Cheers,
Katie
So many recipes, so little time....

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 07:22:14 am »
Katie that is wondeful news. I would never eat store grain bread as I broke a couple of teeth. Then I tried this and it is lovely. If you would like to try a slightly different version Helene has one on her blog. That is really nice too.
http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2009/3000/dark-thermomix-seed-bread-recipe.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:26:51 am by cookie1 »

Offline KatieV

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 07:46:02 am »
Thanks Cookie1, I'll have to give this one a try and compare them both.

Offline KatieV

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 12:04:24 am »
Just made another loaf of this bread and followed some advice on the topic to reduce crumbliness and it worked.  I increased the kneading time to 4min & the rise to 1hr.  The bread is still lovely and soft, but not crumby.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 01:02:54 am »
Well done. :-*