Author Topic: A good read  (Read 3163 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A good read
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 12:15:30 pm »
That was interesting JulieO. We had chicken for dinner!!  I'm not sure I enjoyed it though.  ;D :D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 11:37:45 pm »
I remember when I was a kid, my Dad had chickens in the back yard, we only got to eat one when it stopped laying, then it was boiled , then roasted , it was a special occasion to have chicken.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 02:34:08 am »
I want one of those old fashioned chickens to eat. In fact I would love a lot more slowly raised food at my disposal but unfortunately everything is genetically modified. As much as possible I try and shop from the outer perimeter of the supermarket, but unless you grow it yourself we don't really know 100% what is going into our bodies is what we intended. This trick with "produced in Australia using local and overseas ingredients" really makes me angry - why bother, that doesn't tell us anything! What part was made in Australia? the packaging part?

Even lollies and biscuits are all tasting the same because of the high sugar content, and not much of any other ingredient.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 04:25:11 am »
I agree CP. The 'produced in Australia from local and imported ingredients' probably uses Australian trees for the cardboard and everything else is imported.
We only had chook on special occasions, even though there were plenty running round in the chookyard. Dad brought some turkeys and ducks at a clearing sale and we had that fairly frequently.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 07:14:21 am »
Interesting Julie. It's quite true though and unfortunately our kids will never know the tastes of bygone years.  The same applies to stone fruit, nowhere near the taste of those when we were kids and our parents had fruit trees in the back yard.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 08:37:25 am »
I agree about the stone fruit Judy; my parents used to go to an orchid and we would get a case full and a peach would be dripping with juice when you ate it. Most was bottled. I think we enjoy our tmx so much because we are going back to basics with our food and get to taste the real thing as much as possible. After watching some of the cooking shows in the Eastern states and seeing their food shops and markets I wonder if we are a bit lacking here in what is available. Just a thought.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 09:10:39 am »
I wish we had a like button.  I find myself nodding to all of your comments.
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 10:53:21 am »
I think we are lacking a bit here too Troupie. Some things are almost impossible to find unless you drive 30-50 km.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 09:15:31 am »
I honestly can't remember what chicken tasted like when I was young, but it made sense about the diminishing flavour as there's no way I could eat a chicken breast for example without using any seasoning, spices or adding a sauce at the end.  It would just taste too bland.  Thought it was an interesting read for sure.  :)