Author Topic: TM31 with free jug or TM5? Which would you choose?  (Read 9406 times)

Offline MEP

• View Profile
TM31 with free jug or TM5? Which would you choose?
« on: April 23, 2015, 10:19:37 pm »
I understand the TM5 is likely to be available in the US and Canada by July this year (about CAD$200 more than current price of TM31). In the mean time, however, they are giving away a free jug with the purchase of a TM31 - that's a rare incentive in Canada apparently.

Which would you choose?

Whilst I would love two jugs, I'm also inclined to think the recipe chip would be very useful for me - prefer to read instructions on the screen as opposed to a book. Is the TM5 at a higher price with no incentives worth the wait?
From Perth WA

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
Re: TM31 with free jug or TM5? Which would you choose?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 12:25:50 am »
I would take the free jug.  I do love technology but I also like to read my recipes from a book.  Hopefully not sour grapes but I actually don't like the look of the TM5 and think that there will be so much more to go wrong.  Having said that - If someone were to give me a TM5 I wouldn't say no but I do love my trusty Thermie which I have had for three years.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 01:47:39 am »
Are you saying they're still selling the TM31 in the US & Canada Margaret?  I would also go for the 2nd jug offer - down the track you can always upgrade to a TM5 but I can't see the hurry to do so whilst our TM31's are working perfectly.  Decisions, decisions  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 02:03:35 am »
Definitely go for the TM31 with extra bowl. Wow! Great deal.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 02:44:51 am »
I have a 5 and have had a 31. I would also take the 31 and extra jug.  I only make 3 things from the chip.  Until we can put our own recipes on a chip it has limited application for me.  I think it probably depends a lot on what sort of cook you are. If you like to follow a recipe exactly as printed, then the 5 with the chip would probably suit you.  If you like to play around and convert recipes, then the 31 allows you to do this. I really miss the second jug.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 02:53:23 am »
Yes Judy they are still selling the TM31 in Canada. It's not available in the U.S. And they're not allowed to sell to the U.S at present.  So to buy one I have to physically go to Canada. Thermomix have shopfronts in Vancouver, Quebec and Montreal and we're looking at going to Canada soon anyway.

I'm tempted but then I want the latest model too. Have lived without a TMX for a year now and do so miss it.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
From Perth WA

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 03:02:31 am »
You posted whilst I was typing Chookie. I'm definitely a 'follow a recipe to a T' type of person. I had my TMX31 for three years and didn't convert a single recipe. That's why I think the chip, especially with the introduction of more chips in the future, would suit me to a T.

I guess with the free jug and the price difference when the tm5 is introduced, buying a tm31 now equates to a saving/extra value of around $600. That's not insignificant.
From Perth WA

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 04:27:55 am »
I have a TM31 so can't make too many comments re the TM5. But something you might need to consider (given your location) is after sales support. If there is a problem, do you have facility to return/have fixed your machine? If you poke about here on the forum and the Thermomix website, it seems there have been a few TM5s which have needed to be returned -but again I don't  have a TM5 to compare.

I thought about upgrading to the TM5 and until they enable the chip to save my own favourite  recipes, I'm  happy with the TM31 (and 2 bowls) for now.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 06:51:19 am »
I have both the 31 and the 5.  I would go for the 31 and the extra bowl. I dearly love the 5 but it does have a lot of safety features in it which can be annoying at times, especially if you  have had a 31. My 5 has had to be returned once. I understand how much you would love the new technology though, that is why I bought mine.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 08:27:17 am »
I have both also and feel much the same as everyone else.  Two jugs is such a benefit.  Having cooked with the 31 I find the TM 5 quite a lot slower, especially when following a recipe on the chip.  It would be fantastic for newbies to Thermie cooking though.
Denise

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 09:34:05 am »
I love my TM5 but finding not having an extra jug a pain.When I have asked when they are going to take delivery of extra jugs they say they don't know.
My TM31 never ever gave me problem in all the years that I owned it and now my SIL cooks in it regularly.
Good luck with your decision. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 10:31:10 am »
I would go for the TM31 with the extra jug!
No doubt in the decision if you can get the 31.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 10:33:58 am »
I don't have the 5 but I love having two bowls, I follow recipes from my iPad , your decision , 😳

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 12:41:41 pm »
Jamberie, you have raised a very good point. Because they are not allowed to sell in the U.S. Just yet, if I need servicing, I would need to meet postage costs both ways from where I live and Canada. Postage costs are exorbitant here.

Whilst I would love the new technology of TM5, the safer and more sound decision would be the TM31 given its tried and tested technology. TM31 it is.

Thanks everyone for your input.
From Perth WA

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 01:38:33 pm »
I do love my TM5, but, alas, it has had to go back for a service. I cooked Tenina's Corned Beef and all of a sudden got the C160 error. It won't heat and turns itself off.

I loved having two bowls with my TM31 which I've passed on to my DIL.  So, my answer would be a TM 5 with two bowls!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand