Author Topic: Quick Ciabatta  (Read 7173 times)

Offline Mark

• View Profile
Quick Ciabatta
« on: January 20, 2015, 12:57:47 am »
Quick Ciabatta (no overnight poolish necessary )

I've made this.....Jason's Quick coccodrillo Ciabatta from the Fresh Loaf website many times....so much so that it's nearly destroyed my mixer....so I stopped making it. But now I have a Thermomix it can go back on my list.

I seen on Pintrest that someone used a Thermomix to make it...so I thought I would give it a go.

First have a look at this Youtube link    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v24OBsYsR-A
And you'll see what your in for.

Variaton 1
500g bread flour

450g (~2 cups) water (yep that's a lot of water....but makes it very soft with lots of holes)
2 tsp. yeast

10g salt

Varation 2 (Semolina)
350g bread flour

150g semolina flour

450-475g (~2cups) water

2tsp. yeast

10g salt

Add all ingredients to TM bowl

1.5 minutes on reverse kneed speed....then let it rest for 10 minutes....then 5 minutes on speed 5 reverse.

The dough came out very warm (caused by the mixing) and I thought the high temp may have killed the yeast but it did rise and all was ok........but next time I'll try 4 minutes instead.

Place into a well oiled container and let it triple! it must triple!

Empty on to a floured counter.....cut into 2 or 3 pieces.  Dust with lots o' flour...poke the dough down and let them proof for about 30 or 45 minutes, which gives you enough time to crank that oven up to 500F - 260C

Then onto parchment or a heavily floured peel. Try to do it in one motion and be gentle.

Bake at 500F - 260C  on hot baking stone for about 15-20 minutes, rotating 180 degrees half way through.

Cheers Mark

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Ciabatta
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:56:53 am »
Mark you will find that you don't need to use reverse when you use Knead as it automatically does reverse when kneading. Some forward and some reverse.
I sometimes make Ciabiatta and find when you say to punch the dough down, mine works best if I don't and treat the dough very carefully so that it is very holey.
Thanks for the recipe. I hope my hints help you succeed with your Ciabiatta. Have a look at this recipe for thermomix, it makes a lovely Ciabiatta type loaf.http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=13077.0
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 10:23:15 pm »
Thanks for your kind words Cookie1.

The (Quick) Ciabatta recipe is more a traditional Ciabatta style.....large holes and super soft texture and crust.....due to the very large percentage of water....90%   V   72%.

Also no baking pot required or the 12 to 16 hour ferment.....the intensive mixing/kneeding replaces the long ferment....hence (Quick) Ciabatta.

Anyway, it's always good to have many recipes to experiment with!

Cheers Mark

Offline ElsieD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:53:16 pm »
Wow, that is one nice looking loaf!  I just watched the video and that is one wet dough.  Will you be kneading your next batch on just the knead setting without the reverse?  That is what I usually do for other breads.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 12:46:10 am »
Thanks for that, Mark.  Enjoyed watching the video, too.  Might even press the KA into service! (as my DS had resorted to calling it Mum's museum piece after we acquired the TMX  ;D ;D

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:49:07 am »
Thanks Mark.  Always ready to try a new recipe. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 05:06:01 am »
Thanks Mark.  Always ready to try a new recipe. 

........especially if it is a yeast one for me.  ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:10:52 am »
" Will you be kneading your next batch on just the knead setting without the reverse?"

ElsieD....I think I will do it the same way as the last batch.....just 4 minutes not 5....that way I can gauge the results.

The 5 minute mixing made the dough very warm/hot and I was concerned about the yeast (high temp will kill the yeast) but it still managed to rise ok.

"Might even press the KA into service!"
Goldfish...that's probably not a bad idea...if you follow the video...you'll understand the finished dough texture requirements....but I wouldn't make a habit of using your KA to make it...as it pays mary hell on them.

Cheers Mark

Offline ElsieD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 01:57:01 am »
I made this today and since it is the first time I made it, I used the KA so I could see what the dough was supposed to look and feel like.  This is fabulous bread and thank you Mark, for sharing the recipe.  Next time I will use the TMX.  I am not familiar using semolina instead of portion of the flour.   What does this do for the bread?

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 10:01:06 am »
Elsie,  I believe the semolina holds moisture in the bread.