Author Topic: PANCAKES & BLUEBERRY SAUCE- Nigella via JulieO  (Read 15143 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
PANCAKES & BLUEBERRY SAUCE- Nigella via JulieO
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:04:31 am »

Marmee here you go, have included the blueberry sauce part of her recipe too as it's really nice too to serve with them.

PANCAKES & BLUEBERRY SAUCE- Nigella

Basic Pancake Mix 
600g plain flour
50g baking powder
2 tsp bicarb of soda
1 tsp salt
50g caster sugar

Combine all ingredients and keep in a container for whenever pancakes are required.

To each cup of the pancake mix, add 1 egg, 1 cup milk and 1 tblsp melted butter.  Whisk to combine and remove any lumps.

Blueberry Sauce
200g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
125ml maple syrup

Place both ingredients in a saucepan, stir to combine and cook over medium heat until thick.

Make pancakes and spoon a little of the blueberry sauce on top and a small dollop of thickened cream.

Members' comments
JD - I needed to make a batch of crepes this morning for Karens chicken & ricotta crepe bake so I made up another batch of this mixture but left the sugar out. All I needed to do then for this recipe was to take l cup of this mixture, an egg, 1 tblspn melted butter and instead of just 1 cup of milk I added 1.5 cups to make it thinner for crepe making.  If I want to use this batch for pancakes I will just add about 20g sugar to each cup of the dry mixture.  It made 5 x 23cm crepes and as these are quite large, DH & I only needed 1 each which meant there were 2 unfilled crepes for the freezer and 1 filled one for Mum - a perfect amount for 1/2 quantity of the filling.

MJ - Just bumping this as I've adapted it to be a great camping pancake mix. To the pancake mixture add:
155g powdered milk
5 Tbsp of powdered egg ( I buy this at Woolies - Farm Pride Powdered Whole Eggs)
Add an extra 1/4 cup of water to each cup of mix when making pancakes.

Here's some great additions:

Add a chopped banana to make Banana Pancakes
Add 1/4 cup chopped dates and grated rind of an orange for Date & Orange Pikelets (make smaller)
Add some chopped lightly cooked apple and 1/2 tsp cinnamon for Apple & Cinnamon Pancakes.

I just love this recipe!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:14:26 am by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PANCAKES & BLUEBERRY SAUCE- Nigella via JulieO
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:07:57 am »
I never make pancakes - too much mixture for the 2 of us.  Things have now changed with this idea.  Thanks to those involved. Making up a batch this afternoon.  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 01:25:26 pm »
I needed to make a batch of crepes this morning for Karens chicken & ricotta crepe bake so I made up another batch of this mixture but left the sugar out. All I needed to do then for this recipe was to take l cup of this mixture, an egg, 1 tblspn melted butter and instead of just 1 cup of milk I added 1.5 cups to make it thinner for crepe making.  If I want to use this batch for pancakes I will just add about 20g sugar to each cup of the dry mixture.  It made 5 x 23cm crepes and as these are quite large, DH & I only needed 1 each which meant there were 2 unfilled crepes for the freezer and 1 filled one for Mum - a perfect amount for 1/2 quantity of the filling.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 01:38:11 pm »
I know I shouldn't "out" her - but Nigellas cousin is a consultant here on the Mornington Penninsula!!!!!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:17:37 am »
Tell her to join the throng here too - we don't bite.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:18:48 am »
I needed to make a batch of crepes this morning for Karens chicken & ricotta crepe bake so I made up another batch of this mixture but left the sugar out. All I needed to do then for this recipe was to take l cup of this mixture, an egg, 1 tblspn melted butter and instead of just 1 cup of milk I added 1.5 cups to make it thinner for crepe making.  If I want to use this batch for pancakes I will just add about 20g sugar to each cup of the dry mixture.  It made 5 x 23cm crepes and as these are quite large, DH & I only needed 1 each which meant there were 2 unfilled crepes for the freezer and 1 filled one for Mum - a perfect amount for 1/2 quantity of the filling.

Like your thinking JD  :-* :-* :-* - if you have to dirty the bowl then make it worth the effort of cleaning  :o :o - but wait - it cleans itself.  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 07:42:47 am »
We always carry a pancake mix when we travel as it's a quick and easy snack for visitors. This will now be our pancake mix. Thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 01:38:34 pm »
I've been using Nigella's pancake mix now for a while. Love it!! ;D
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:05:37 am »
Reading how others have been having pancakes for breakfast lately reminded me that I still had some of this mixture in the pantry so I made up a batch this morning.  Thought I'd bump it for all the newcomers.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 03:21:36 am »
Just bumping this as I've adapted it to be a great camping pancake mix.

To the pancake mixture add:

155g powdered milk
5 Tbsp of powdered egg ( I buy this at Woolies - Farm Pride Powdered Whole Eggs)

Add an extra 1/4 cup of water to each cup of mix when making pancakes.

Here's some great additions:

Add a chopped banana to make Banana Pancakes
Add 1/4 cup chopped dates and grated rind of an orange for Date & Orange Pikelets (make smaller)
Add some chopped lightly cooked apple and 1/2 tsp cinnamon for Apple & Cinnamon Pancakes.

I just love this recipe!

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 03:56:44 am »
Good one MJ - love pancakes when camping. Great for brekky and also as a snack - fills em up!!!!  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 05:03:52 am »
I know it's been a long time since there was a post on this topic so I hope someone can help me.

With regard to the camping version of the pancake mix, does that mean one cup of the dry ingredients (camping pancake mix) and 1 and 1/4 cups of water and 1 Tblspn of butter is all that's needed to make the pancakes?

Thanks in advance  :)
From Perth WA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 05:33:50 am »
That's how I read it Margaret.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 01:01:29 pm »
 :thanks very much Judy  :)
From Perth WA

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 07:17:37 pm »
Thanks Julie. I great Xmas hamper idea too.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate