Author Topic: Convert australian 240v to USA 110v  (Read 11387 times)

Offline JudeVegan

• View Profile
Convert australian 240v to USA 110v
« on: December 19, 2014, 05:36:44 am »
Where in California would I find a reliable 1500 watt step up transformer to safely convert my T5 from 240v to 110v for use whilst travelling for a month in USA?  Arrived from Australia been looking for 2 days. Most electrical stores selling transformers have no clue what a Thermomix is.

There are heaps online but don't know if they're chinese cheapie or sturdy reliable made in USA.  Last thing I want to do is damage my machine.  As a "no oil" vegan the Thermomix has saved our lives both at home and whilst travelling last year but was always in 240v.

Found a reliable one in New York but will take a week to get here and nearly $200 to ship quicker.  $300 for the transformer as well. $500 in total is a little pricey.  Just don't know what alternative.

H e l p ! !

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Convert australian 240v to USA 110v
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 07:15:44 am »
What do you use to convert the power for phones and tablets etc? Could you use the same thing to plug the thermomix into?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 07:51:10 am »
You can buy these  transformers from Amazon.com any price from $25 and up. Some with free shipping. Just check the wattage suitable. Not all are.

You can't use simple converters such as those for  I devices.

Also be aware theses transformers are quite heavy and one suitable for the Thermomix may weigh 5 or more kilos.

Gert
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:53:50 am by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 06:56:45 am »
Hi JudeVegan: Sorry to hear you found out the hard way that the Thermomix is still unknown in USA. Even here in Canada where it is available, our fave machine is for the most-part completely unknown  ???

I agree with CertbySea... A few years ago I did some research into this question and at that time I found a reliable supplier of the transformers who was also in New York (I no longer have the details on this supplier, sorry!) Basically it boils down to the same as what you've been told so far, it's not a matter of simply using an adapter. As I understand it, the difference is that with TMX you are driving a motor and also heating. With a bit more hunting around you may find a supplier or transformers that is in the area where you are staying. I would advise you download the specs for the machine from the Australian website (even better if you have the manual with you) and take the machine in to a local electrical supply shop if you can. They will need to see the numbers for what the machine is set up to do with the Australian specs in order to advise you safely on the conversion. Good luck and best wishes!
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline M1309

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 02:22:24 am »
Hi! Just wanted to know whether you were able to find a solution and use your TM5 in the USA?

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 02:41:15 am »
Hi! Just wanted to know whether you were able to find a solution and use your TM5 in the USA?

Vorwerk will be releasing a model for USA later this year I believe
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 04:53:47 am »
Gert, always in the know and always reliable
X
Denise