Author Topic: White Torrone with Nuts and Fruits (with photos)  (Read 7473 times)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
White Torrone with Nuts and Fruits (with photos)
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:47:14 am »

Hi everyone

There are two things that you see more and more in Italian shops when Christmas is getting closer. Panettone and Torrone!

Today I am sharing a white torrone recipe. I've got it from Thermomix Australia recipe community web page. I saw almost the same recipe also in Italian sources. I don't know which one is the main source. Nevertheless, whoever created it and contributed to its last version did a great job.
We loved it!

I made a very few modifications on it as well.
The thing is I couldn't find any "host" sheets (ostia in italian) or rice sheets around here
My brother in law gave me the greatest and also the simplest idea.  His suggestion was to coat torrone with a thin layer of melted white chocolate to prevent stickiness. Well.. it worked great.

With a simple transparent packaging and ribbon they would make very pretty Christmas gifts.

Ingredients:
1 egg white
400 g honey

Contents of Torrone:
200 g toasted nuts and dried fruits of your choice*(1)
Optional: 50 g white chocolate*(2)

Top:
Confectionary rice paper or "host" sheets aka ostia in Italian, or 100 g white chocolate*(3)

Notes
(1)
To be precise, I used 60 g of almonds, 60 g of pistachios, 60 g of peanuts and 30 g of dried cranberry & blueberry mixture.

(2) We prefer soft torrone so I added 50 g of white chocolate together with nuts to make it chewy.

(3) I couldn't find any rice paper around here. I had to order online and I didn't have time to wait for to be delivered. You need rice paper or ostia for such confectionery recipes so that it wouldn't stick to your hands while eating. Domenico, my brother in law, gave me the greatest idea. Thanks to his suggestion I coated my white torrone with a thin layer of melted white chocolate. This way I prevented stickiness issue and added also a delicate chocolate touch to the formula.

Preparation:

Beat egg white for 2 seconds on Speed 2.

Add honey. Insert the Butterfly. Cook for 60 minutes at 100ºC on Speed 2, with MC off.

Remove the Butterfly. Immediately add broken pieces of chocolate, toasted nuts and dried fruits. Stir in with Spatula.

Place a piece of baking paper on worktop. Place rice paper over baking paper if you have any. Spoon torrone mixture over. (I added a some extra nuts and fruits on the top)

Place another piece of rice paper on top if you have any. Cover with another piece of baking paper. Roll out with a rolling pin into a rectangular shape. (I rolled mine approximately about 18 x 26 cm. I didn't use rice paper. If you will be using it, you may need to consider the size of your rice paper before rolling out your torrone)

With a sharp knife cut it lengthwise into 3 pieces. Trim the edges if you wish.

If you are not using rice paper proceed as follows: Chop 50 g of white chocolate for 5 seconds on Speed 7. Clean down the sides with Spatula. Melt it for a few minutes at 50ºC on Speed 2-3. Coat torrone on the top with melted chocolate. Refrigerate it until it sets.

After it sets, melt other 50 g of chocolate as explained before, coat the bottom of torrone. Store in the refrigerator.

Serve them at room temperature.

Enjoy...

Photos: http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.it/2014/12/white-torrone-with-nuts-and-fruits.html

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: White Torrone with Nuts and Fruits (with photos)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:58:44 am »
Another fabulous recipe Farfallina.I love how you walk us through every step  :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:59:59 am »
Good idea with the white chocolate coating farfallina.  A few of us have made that particular recipe from RC and now, thanks to you, we have all the details here on our forum.  Your photograpic steps are very helpful indeed.  You may like to check out our Christmas challenge thread to see what else we have been doing this year.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:22:38 pm »

Thank you judy.
There are so many great Christmas gift ideas in that thread!
I wish to be one of your close friends or family ! ;)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 07:00:49 pm »
Can you post your recipe for the dark chocolate verson please.

Thanks.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:25:29 am »
Is this hard or chewy please farfallina. I think I may make it to take to a Christmas morning tea.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 02:10:27 am »
Cookie this is the same as the nougat on RC. If you add white choc it's chewy without its hard.
Denise

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 04:41:47 am »
Thanks again Farfallina. I didn't add the chocolate and it is still nice and chewy.  I bought some imported Italian nougat and it was dusted with cocoa powder. I think Farfallinas recipe is better and was 100g $4.50. I think mine worked out at about $1.50 for 100g.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 07:13:36 am »
Thanks Bedlam.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 09:03:41 am »
Is this hard or chewy please farfallina. I think I may make it to take to a Christmas morning tea.

As Bedlam said, I made it with chocolate addition and it was chewy cookie.
We liked it even more after letting it sit for a while at room temperature. We found you can taste the flavors better and it gets even chewier ;)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 09:06:37 am »
Can you post your recipe for the dark chocolate verson please.

Thanks.

Here is the link for chocolate hazelnut torrone cuilidh, I hope you enjoy it ;)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 09:24:45 am »
I am happy you enjoy the recipe achookwoman.
When i go around these days I see sooooooooooo many torrone in the supermarkets here in Italy.
Around Christmas time there are entire sections dedicated to torrone and panettone.

I found that this recipe doesn't taste any less than its store-sold brothers. On the contrary, it tastes much better than most of commercial brands in my opinion.

You can adapt it to you needs and prepare for instance Torrone with Almonds only, or with Pistachios.

Today I posted also Chocolate Hazelnut Torrone recipe which is so yummy too.
Both white and chocolate torrone have been tasted (and tested ;) ) by a total of 22 people so far and they've got some enthusiastic reviews :D ;)