Author Topic: Recipe review: Potato Cakes page 184 UK Basic Cookbook  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
Recipe review: Potato Cakes page 184 UK Basic Cookbook
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:18:53 pm »
Potato Cakes Page 184

I made this recipe as per the book/chip instruction. I found the result was too wet but I fried a couple anyway. I overcooked them as you can see because they appeared to be raw in the middle and they didn't hold together. They actually tasted nice but the batter for want of a better word I felt was not pulsed enough. I returned the remaining batter to the bowl and added 15g of  extra corn flour and 15g of oats. I gave it an extra 16 secs at speed 7. This did seem to get rid of some of the liquid but I was not convinced that it looked right. I would be glad of anyone describing just what the batter should look like. I am starting to think that cooked potato should be used and not raw. What do you think?
Linked CC
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:32:06 pm by Cornish Cream »
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe review: Potato Cakes page 184 UK Basic Cookbook
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 07:28:42 pm »
I haven't made this recipe (yet) Dot but I have made another Potato Pancake recipe off the forum and that used raw potato.If you read my posting I was very careful about the size of potato and the time/speed of chopping.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe review: Potato Cakes page 184 UK Basic Cookbook
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 09:54:33 pm »
I think the TMX versions everywhere are chopped too much DD.  I've given up and now use a hand grater but I did have more success by chopping much less than the EDC recipe here said.  I think European countries have a much different version to our Australian one which we call Mock Fish.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.