Author Topic: Tonights the Night - and I have a question please  (Read 9443 times)

Offline Mackerel Man

• View Profile
Tonights the Night - and I have a question please
« on: December 11, 2014, 05:55:38 am »
Good afternoon everyone
Have been lurking on this forum from time to time after I placed an order a couple of months ago - and tonight my consultant will be delivering her.  The jury is still out on her new name (that is the name of baby TM5 - not the name of the consultant - just to clarify).
I know I have not yet contributed anything as yet and I prefer to give rather than receive - so excuse me asking this question at this time.
When I started reading I recall I came across a posting I believe from one of the experienced moderators of a list of ingredients that one should consider having for use with the thermomix (why is this name underlined as a potential spelling error whenever I type it -it is on Wikopedia after all!!).  It would be great if someone could provide me with a link to that posting as I would like to take it with me when shopping (yes - I am a house-husband without kids - and simply change my title depending on the job that needs doing - masseur, chauffeur, shopper and chef, sailor, accounts payable clerk, etc).
Otherwise I might be in for a long (albeit enjoyable) reading of the forum to find it again.
Looking forward to interacting with everyone on this journey ahead.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tonights the Night - and I have a question please
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:41:06 am »
I hope this one will do Mackerel Man, it has a couple of links to extra threads as well.  Hello and welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to your contributions when you've had a play, exciting times ahead for you.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:24:55 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 07:04:59 am »
Welcome to the forum Mackerel Man.  Enjoy your new TM and I look forward to hearing about your journey.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:25:05 am by judydawn »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 07:09:52 am »
Welcome to the forum Mackerel Man. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 07:43:36 am »
Lovely having you on the forum, enjoy your delivery.
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 07:47:17 am »
Welcome to the forum Mackeral Man. Please feel free to ask any questions you have re the use of your fantastic new machine.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:20:40 am »
Welcome to the forum Mackerel Man.  Enjoy your tmx
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 09:14:58 am »
Welcome to the Forum.  We are here to share and help.  Looking forward to hearing about what  you cook.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 09:28:00 am »
Welcome ,  no sleep for you tonight you will be thinking about all the things you can cook. We like to make abbreviations of names on here you might have to be Mac Man as MM is already taken  :D

Offline Mackerel Man

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 12:31:01 pm »
Wow - 79 people have actually read what I said and 10% have taken the time to write something - this is amazing.  It seems I have died and gone to cooking heaven.
Firstly thank you to judydawn for the link - it is helpful but something in the back of my mind says whoever put the list together made a 'sticky' out of it - so I may have to look for it - but will also be looking at the suggestions via the link of the pantry of items to consider getting.
And thanks to Aussie Brenda - you are so right at the moment.  The clock has just gone 11pm and I am wide awake.  I have an instruction manual and basic cook book to get through before dawn.  From one Aussie to another I am happy with the abbreviated MacMan title if that helps the typing fingers.
Well my dear consultant allocated about an hour and she went home after two (note to self - reduce number of questions when on first visit).  But we also did talk baby names and I am being swayed towards that of Nigella - such a delicious and delightful name don't you think?
Well tonight I received Nigella and I did my first ever cook - (well actually my second as a month ago I was pushed onto the stage of a public cooking demonstration to cook custard) - and did a vegetable stock.  I understand one teaspoon equates to one small cube of commercially produced stock - so according to my calculator I should get through what I produced tonight in about.....18.7 years.
I haven't yet told my wife of my new baby arrival (we are in the process of moving and she is in the new place and I am in the old) - and I just hope it is normal to love a new machine more than a human - well for at least a day or two anyway (I am sure if she was given the new Iphone 6+ then I would not get a look in for at least a week - so 2-3 days for me to love someone else is probably okay - well thats my line and I am sticking to it).

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome - when Nigella is fitted into her new residence I hope to be able to take a picture and show everyone where she is (and the title of Mackerel Man may then also fall into place).  Until we chat further - I have important documentation to read.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 08:03:51 pm »
Well Macman seems to me you are heading to a Sea Change.  When you get through your veggie stock and make the next batch,  just letting you know that a lot of us reduce the salt quite a lot, I don't think that it lasts as long but you can use more, for more flavour but it's not salty.  Happy cooking.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 10:24:46 pm »
Hi MacMan and welcome. Sounds like you're going to have some fun times ahead with Nigella. Enjoy!

I don't reduce the quantity of salt in my stock concentrate, but I do store it in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Because of the salt content it doesn't freeze and you can spoon it out as required. It will keep longer in the freezer than the fridge, although maybe not 18.7 years!
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 10:59:11 pm »
I roast my vegies before turning them into vegie stock MacMan, the flavour is more intensified.  I use a couple of teaspoons VSC for more flavour so that cuts your 18.7 years down a bit  ;D  Like Katie, I freeze mine too then I don't have to worry about whether it's out of date or not.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 11:46:24 pm »
Hi Mackerel Man, and welcome to the forum.

Great to have a few guys join us here.

I am sure we will help you lots, just ask, and we will type..
You will soon make a heap of staples in the thermie, that is so fast and easy. enjoy.. ;)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 03:30:14 am »
Hi and welcome Mac Man.  :)
Hmmm, wondering what your wife will think of you living with Nigella while she is away.... ;) :D
:D