Author Topic: Create a recipe from my ingredients?  (Read 16842 times)

Offline jayda

• View Profile
Create a recipe from my ingredients?
« on: December 11, 2014, 01:37:08 am »
I'm finding it difficult as a new Thermomix owner, not to feel the need to make a trip to the shops each day to buy ingredients for recipes I come across - especially when I'm about an 8km car trip away from the shops!  I know I'll eventually build up the essentials for my fav recipes but in the meantime, is there a function available (not necessarily here) where I can put in the main ingredients I have at my fingertips and search recipes?  I know there is a regular recipe website that lets you do that but I'm not at the point of converting recipes for creating in the Thermomix yet.

For instance, I have half a piece of silverside roast (uncooked) that needs to be used up, zucchinis by the bucket load in the garden, 5kg of semi sundried tomatoes and lots of berries (various types like logan berries, raspberries, young berries etc) in the garden as well.  I'm not looking for just one recipe to use up all of this stuff but that would feature them as a main ingredient would be great.

Also, I'm hoping to do a big shop tonight so what do you find are your essentials to have in the pantry?  I have quite a bit of beef in the freezer that I'm trying to get thru as it's almost time to have the butcher come out to deal with the next beast. 

Thanks for any advice and I hope I've put this request in the right section!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Re: Create a recipe from my ingredients?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:22:43 am »
Hi! The search function on the forum leaves a lot to be desired, so I tend to use a search engine such as google to find recipes. I often search by typing in the ingredient that i want to use followed by the words "forum thermomix" (eg zucchini forum thermomix). This brings up a number of recipes using that ingredient.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline jayda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 03:48:45 am »
Thanks EmeraldSue...that sounds logical!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 04:14:24 am »
Hi, jayda, we all have this problem. 
Berries,  make jam if freezer space is an issue.  Fruit pies if not and freeze them.
I had same problem with beef this week so made Hilda's Meat paste and stuffed the roast and cooked it in the Slow Cooker.  The paste can be frozen.
How about making bread. Good recipes here and will save you a fortune.  You might like to start with Isi's Portugese Rolls.
We are a round trip of one hour to shops.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 04:53:15 am »
Jayda ES's solution is about the best one. As others have said our search engine leaves a lot to be desired.
If you want to use your zucchini for a Main Meal, go to main meals and use the search engine there. If you want to use it for cakes, go to Cakes section and search there.
I like Mr Google. I use......zucchini thermomix and it comes up with recipes.
Good luck.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 06:50:22 am »
The girls have it all covered jayda, cookie's suggestion will also bring up recipes from people's blogs as well as our forum so you will have endless alternatives.  You might like to use this recipe for your piece of silverside.

I've just given a link to a new member who was looking for a list of pantry staples which are handy to have on hand.  Perhaps you might like to browse that thread too. http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1571.0
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline jayda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:49:30 am »
thank you everyone, this is excellent!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 04:01:44 am »
I also find "Eat your Books" is great for coming up with a recipe using the cook books on your own shelf. This can be downloaded for free using 5 cookbooks to start with.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline jayda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 02:29:31 am »
Thank you Creampuff - will look that up.  Sounds promising!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 07:41:28 am »
"Eat Your Books " is very good. I don't make full use of it, I need to sit down and have a good look at it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/