Author Topic: A Fishy Question  (Read 7145 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
A Fishy Question
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:31:01 pm »
This is not TMX related, but I am sure someone on here can answer the question.

My (very recently) separated neighbour asked me (a vegetarian ???) how to cook calamari rings.  Well, I did remind him that I don't eat fish, but said I would ask and let him know.

So, how do you cook calamari rings?  He thought that it was first soaked in milk to tenderise it - if so, how long do you soak for.  The only thing I know about cooking calamari is that it is very easy to overcook it and make it tough.

He is also going to tackle beer battered fish and asked about the batter ... is it just flour, salt, pepper and beer or is there also some sort of 'magic' other ingredient?

I made some Kasundi last weekend and gave him a jar and wonder if that spiciness would complement the seafood?  If I have time I will also make him some sort of dessert ... what goes with seafood?  It has to be quick and easy as I won't have much time to get it done before his guests arrive.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A Fishy Question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:48:20 pm »
I have never cooked calamari so hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer this question for you Marina.
Chookie posted a recipe Crisp Batter for Fish. no beer but great reviews.
I would serve Tartar Sauce with the fish ;)
Swedish Ice Cream cheesecake?
Chocolate Soufflé?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:51:29 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:02:06 pm »
I've never cooked it as the fried variety Marina, only the slow cooked TMX recipe I've posted here. My BIL once cooked it crumbed though and yes, he did soak it in milk to tenderise it and then deep fried it for a minute only.

Found this article which looks and sounds perfect.  The recipe is at the end of all the information.

He's a very brave man cooking something he hasn't done before for visitors, I hope he pulls it off.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:49:17 pm »
He sounds wonderful to be willing to give things a go. calamari must be cooked very quickly, or for a very long time. If he is going to fry it, it will be very quickly. If he doesn't want to batter it perhaps just flour it.
I never batter fish so can't help there. I always do flour, egg and breadcrumbs, then lightly fry quickly.

He is certainly to be congratulated.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:42:45 am »
Haven't made a beer batted for ages, much to DH disappointment, my beer batter was plain flour, beer and baking powder. Dust each fillet with flour first then dip in the batter. I always cook squid very quickly.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!