Author Topic: Potato Curry (Aloo Puri)  (Read 13022 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Potato Curry (Aloo Puri)
« on: August 21, 2009, 10:38:32 am »
Name of Recipe: Potato Curry (Aloo Puri)
Number of People:
Ingredients:
300g Potato, roughly cut
1 large Tomato, quartered
1 Clove Garlic
1/2 or 1 Green Chilli
1 Onion, quartered
20g Oil
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
10 Curry Leaves
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Ajwin
1 tsp Salt
500g Water
Bunch Coriander Leaves

Preparation:
Place tomato and potato into TM bowl and chop for 5-8 seconds on speed 6.
Add garlic, chilli and onion to bowl and chop for 5 seconds on speed 6.  Scrape down the sides.
Add oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves, turmeric and ajwin seeds and heat for 3 minutes at 100ºC on speed 1.
Add potato and salt and cook for 5 minutes at 100ºC on speed 1.
Add water and tomato and cook for 10 minutes at 100ºC on speed 1 or until potato is soft.
Place on serving dish and garnish with coriander and serve with Puri.
Contributed by Vinita Randle-Rai, WA

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

Can anyone hazard a guess as to how they think this SHOULD be cooked, as the instructions make no sense at all - chop the tomato and potato but then you're meant to add them separately, plus you're never told to take them out of the bowl in the first place... etc etc
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Potato Curry (Aloo Puri)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 11:06:50 am »
Doh - so easy mate - just read like this

Place tomato into TM bowl and chop for 3 seconds on speed 6.  Remove and place in separate bowl.
Place potato into TM bowl and chop for 3-5 seconds on speed 6. Remove and place in separate bowl.

Place garlic, chilli and onion to bowl and chop for 5 seconds on speed 6.  Scrape down the sides.
Add oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves, turmeric and ajwin seeds and heat for 5 minutes at 100ºC on speed 1.
Add reserved potato and salt and 1 MC water and cook for 5 minutes at 100ºC on reverse+ speed 1.
Add remaining water and tomato and cook for 10 minutes at 100ºC on reverse + speed 1 or until potato is soft.
Place on serving dish and garnish with coriander and serve with Puri.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 11:19:24 am »
i did all of the above (except i chopped the potato on speed 4 ;))

but OMG it's a lot of water. at this stage it looks more like soup than curry...
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Sundari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 11:49:21 am »
my experience of living in india with indian relatives we wouldn't have added any water to that curry but there's lots of variations

and the tomatoes would be fried off with the spices and onion sometime during this stage

Place garlic, chilli and onion to bowl and chop for 5 seconds on speed 6.  Scrape down the sides.
Add oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves, turmeric and ajwin seeds and heat for 5 minutes at 100ºC on speed 1.
Birth Worker
Mum to one DD 6yrs
Thermomix Consultant

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:00:14 pm »
thanks sundari :)

have to say this is not one i would make again without major changes - i might try sundari's version ;)
My Cooking Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:01:06 pm »
oh sundari, would the potato be in chunks still like i did it, or chopped to fine pieces as per the recipe?
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 02:28:54 pm »
Was this from one of the recipe books?

I agree - sounds weird - but then some of my recipes are possibly way off track too - but I use weird ingredients that nobody would bother using  :D :D :D

I like Sundari's idea - maybe chop the potatoes into chunks rather than blitzing them for 5-8 seconds. 

Start with blitzing the tomatoes and then take them out & clean the bowl, then blitzing and frying off the chilli, ginger, spices and onion with oil - maybe 3 minutes, then add some of the tomato puree, fry off for another 5 minutes, then some more tomato and fry off,  and add  rest of tomatoes before adding the potatoes.  But that is a bit more labour intensive.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:33:12 pm by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Sundari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:37:40 pm »
Tomato and potato would be in chunks/ diced
and it wouldn't be runny
but as I say HUGE variations around the country that was my familys way. You could pick it up easily with a bit of chapati or puri or flat bread to put in your mouth.
Birth Worker
Mum to one DD 6yrs
Thermomix Consultant

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 11:35:55 pm »
the recipe says servew ith puri, but it was seriously like soup lol (not so bad served on rice like we had it).

thermomixer, it came from a document i was sent with indian recipes on it (that was apparently sent to the UK for their curry book, i wonder what they thought of our shockingly written and not tested recipes).
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 12:21:48 am »

thermomixer, it came from a document i was sent with indian recipes on it (that was apparently sent to the UK for their curry book, i wonder what they thought of our shockingly written and not tested recipes).

Are you allowed to say that ?

I posted this http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/2009/07/thermomix-aloo-gobi.html which is something similar - but you could try doing it just in the bowl - just smaller quantities
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 12:36:53 am »
i have that recipe bookmarked ;)

i'm wondering if the 500g of water should have been 50g? it was so watery, it literally had very little flavour
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 09:21:52 am »
Could be - but I think an extra tomato would be more sense.  See whether it is in the book when it is published.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 09:23:35 am »
i put an extra tomato and an extra 100g of potato in lol didn't stop it being very watery and hardly any flavour ;)
My Cooking Blog