Author Topic: Can you help me decide?  (Read 16939 times)

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
Can you help me decide?
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:07:30 pm »
I hate to be negative about a new product.  I always think it is not quite fair but I would be glad of your imput.

After my initial excitement at news of the TM5, I am wondering more and more whether to stay with my TM31. I don't like the references I have read on the lock down lid (locking during use) , the fixed seal, or the many error codes I am reading about and the having to return the machine to have it looked at. (at 77, I don't like lugging heavy parcels around either.) It sounds like we are doing the beta tests ourselves! I love to keep up with technology but do you think I should delay and wait till problems are resolved?

I am supposing that new chips will be brought in for sale.For example, vegitarian, Asian.etc.  I would be interested in a healthy recipe chip but most of all I would need a blank one for my own recipes. I know that one can note "favourites" on the current chip but these recipes have to be listed on the chip already. I wonder how much the chips are going to cost? I also mostly scale my recipes into "cooking for one" which maybe the chip procedures don't take into account. I currently have my own recipes on a tablet for quick referral in the kitchen. What I need are no problems with my gadgets.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help me decide?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:34:59 pm »
I'm loving my TM5 DD.If my machine has any problems I will deal with it under the warranty.I quite understand your reluctance to get a new machine if you are worried about it going wrong.
Maybe attend a demo and judge for yourself if an upgrade is warranted.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:24:42 pm »
So happy to see your post DD, haven't seen you around for quite a while so hope is going well for you.

To be honest, I can't help you with your query.  I am more than happy with my TM31 and, unless something went badly awry with it I am not interested in a TM5.  If your '31 is working well, my inclination would be to stay with it unless you really wanted a change, and I know many people do.

Tha's probably not a lot of help to you, but I really just want to post on the thread to say "hi"!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:41:42 pm »
I agree with Cuilidh.
If you are happy with TM31 stay with it.
I am sticking with my TM31 it is almost 4 years old and no problems.
I have bought a new set of blades and have two seals so it works like new!
I am waiting to see how the TM5 goes and enjoying my perfectly good TM31.
I invested in a great machine and I am happy to stay with it even after a demo of the new one.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:03:10 pm »
Lovely to see you again DD.

I also agree with Marina, if you are happy with your TM31 stick with it. I have bought the T5 but haven't yet received it and while I think it looks great and I really like some of the new features I don't think it is a big step up, and I bought it more as a gift to myself and because I'm a sucker for new gadgets.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:53:45 pm »
Lovely to see you  on again DD.
I agree with CC, I am loving the TM 5 and although nothing has changed significantly  the improvements  all combined give a fantastic new machine.  I love the chip also and look forward to more books being released on a chip. Saying all this TM31 is still a wonderful machine.
Go to a demo and judge for yourself either way you are one of the lucky ones as you have a  TM31
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 10:01:08 pm »
Lovely to see you DD.  Like you, it's just me and I see no need to upgrade when we have a perfectly good machine.  I will only buy a new one when and if my TM31 can no longer be fixed and I don't expect that to be for many years.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 10:08:25 pm »
Welcome back DD. It is truly lovely to have you back with us.

I have T5 and have had a couple of the error messages.  So far I haven't had any real problems and wonder if I the error messages are more heat protection for users. However it really won't do anything the 31 won't do.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:25:34 am »
I didn't want one either, until I saw it in action! Now I want one, but I need to make up my mind for sure so I can save $100. Even though I have a perfectly good 31, I still feel that I really do want the 5. Decisions, decisions.....

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:44:50 am »
I've been to a tm5 demo and tm5 cooking class. At this point in time I'm happy with my tm31 (I heard an analogy somewhere that the difference is a bit like driving an automatic v. manual car,  they both have the same result but the tm5 is a little more relaxing..) and I seem to agree. BUT as soon as I can tweak a chip to add my own/online/forum recipes it will be a different story!
In saying that,  I am recommending a tm5 for my mum as I think the lid lock is better for her arthritis and she has a very open plan home and the tm5 is quieter.
I think it is a case of each to their own,  and do what suits you best,  they are both excellent machines.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 12:29:31 pm »
Thank you all for your opinions. My TM31 is in such good order and has a second bowl but mostly I know that I will still end up looking at my tablet for my familiar and personal recipes.  I have decided to have a demo of the TM5 and make my decision when I have seen the newcomer for myself.
Thank you girls for asking after me. I know that I have been off forum for ages. Just to catch up, I beat the cancer (well as much as one does) and I moved house. I have helped my daughter through a heart operation and currently I am up against a heart condition myself so none of it has been good. I am hoping for a little respite from the health thing but meanwhile I am trying to eat more healthily  from the Thermie of course. :-))
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Bonsai

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 12:34:31 pm »
Oh Dot you have had a hard time. Hope DD is well now and that you are on the road to recovery. We have missed you on the forum

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 12:42:13 pm »
You certainly have had a tough time Dot.Great to see you back posting again.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 12:51:42 pm »
Love the analogy between driving a manual and an automatic car because thats exactly what it is. I'm loving mine. Having a demo is a good idea. It would take a strong person to not cave in when they can have a touch and a close look.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 01:46:10 pm »
Thanks for the update on your health Dot, wishing you well with the current problem and hoping DD is doing well after her op.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.