Author Topic: Hi from Queensland  (Read 7853 times)

Offline LillyPilly

• View Profile
Hi from Queensland
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:11:33 pm »
Hi all, I've been reading/lurking since the 4th, when I put in my order.

I've been waiting for 8 years to finally get a TM, so why does '6-8 weeks' feel so long???

What a great resource you have created here! After reading reviews, I ordered For Food's Sake and have also been collecting things online that I want to try and pondering how I can adapt some of the things I already do. Now I've got another impossibly long list of ideas from you all! I know, possibly a bit ambitious/premature for someone who's never actually used a Thermomix 😊.

I don't think I will be using my new friend for many complete dinners, but more as another (younger and stronger) pair of hands in the kitchen. Not a big fan of risotto, but very fond of polenta and its kin, scrapple, neither of which I've been making the last few years as my hands have been letting me down. Also really, really looking forward to retiring my old mortar and pestle.

So, here I sit, waiting, waiting, waiting. I've even already named my new friend (this is like waiting to bring home a new puppy!). Sous Sous, a nod to the ever helpful, cheerful and uncomplaining middle child on The Middle, the one who makes the best of what she's given, as I trust my new friend will 😉

As I cook only for myself, and dinners for my mum, I'm looking forward to having a great time playing!

Thanks for running such a helpful and nice forum, I look forward to contributing, after I finally take delivery.
TM5, delivered 05/11/2014 😍

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Queensland
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 09:39:58 pm »
Welcome to the forum LillyPilly.We look forward to your input here once your TM5 arrives. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:40:58 pm »
Welcome aboard Lillypilly. This is a wonderfully friendly forum - invaluable when you are trying out Recipes on the TMX. Just ask away!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 09:42:30 pm »
Hello LillyPilly, welcome to the forum.  You really have had a good look around to know so much about us already LOL. You still have plenty of time before delivery and I'm sure you will continue to browse and choose some recipes to make.  Your first recipe book will arrive and you will become quite excited by FFS, Tenina's books are gorgeous. Thanks for joining us, we look forward to your contributions down the track.  In the meantime, if you have any questions please ask away.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline LillyPilly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 09:48:24 pm »
Judy, I do have one burning question...please move it if it belongs somewhere else, I'm not sure where to ask this. The cooking symbols such as  :: :-: *: ^^, is there anywhere I can find them to use in Pages or Word?

Oh, another question, do I need to alter recipes written for use in TM31 to use them in TM5?

Are you sorry you told me to ask questions, LOL ?

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 09:51:10 pm »
Welcome LillyPilly (my pet name for my youngest Grand Daughter),  you will love your TMX, I have old arthritic hands and cooking is a breeze now.  Chopping ,stirring and kneading , your only problem will be finding some people to eat all you want to cook.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 09:57:55 pm »
I don't have the TM5 LillyPilly but from what I've read, the recipes work fine in both machines.  As the TM5 is slightly larger, it is only those of us with the TM31 who will have to make sure the recipe quantities are not too much for our machines (if we use a TM5 recipe).

The symbols mean kneading, reverse blades, closed bowl (for kneading) and gentle stir setting.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:05:56 pm by judydawn »

Offline LillyPilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 10:17:29 pm »
Thank you for letting me know I won't need to do alterations on the recipes.

I know what the symbols mean, and think they are a handy way of writing a recipe. What I want is to somehow be able to use the symbols in Word or Pages. They aren't on the keyboard, of course, but I was wondering if there was a way to import them? I also keep a lot of recipes in Paprika on my iPad, handy for the kitchen. It will display the other symbols, smilies etc, so I was hoping to figure out how to import the 'TM shorthand'. I'm not techie enough to even clearly describe what I want!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 10:21:12 pm »
Hi  and welcome Lilypilly :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline LillyPilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 10:25:07 pm »
"...your only problem will be finding some people to eat all you want to cook."

Brenda, that is already a problem! The dogs often benefit from the results of an over enthusiastic  bout of 'cooking therapy'. It is such a long wait for my TM. Oh well, I will hopefully have a couple of weeks to practice before Christmas.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 10:27:53 pm »
Welcome Lillypilly.  You will love your TMX.  Don't forget to use the Varoma.  Great for small complete meals. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 11:08:40 pm »
I'm not a tech head LillyPilly so hopefully someone who is will be able to help you with the symbol question  :) 

Offline LillyPilly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 12:14:27 am »
Chookie, I will definitely use the Varoma. For my first meal, I'm tossing up between the chicken and brown rice soup, with extra veg, or the cashew chicken and coconut rice. Both get nearly universal approval, and both are 'one pot wonders'.

I've got a whole lot of veg I've dehydrated, in anticipation of ferociously flashing blades, along with some salt pickled limes and soy sauce pickled garlic. Hopefully I'll get a nice, tangy veg stock paste out of this combination. So many things to make, and no machine!

The Kefir Lemon Ice Cream is lovely, isn't it? It occurred to me that a dash of your Meyer Lemon Dust should go well in that.

I wonder how long I can keep up this level of anticipation? Is it here yet, is it here yet, is it here yet?  :)

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 12:27:14 am »
Welcome LillyPilly! I too am waiting (impatiently!) for delivery of my TM5. Luckily I still have my 31 to use. Get ready to bookmark / print out so many delicious recipes you'll wonder when you will possibly cook them all.
Kylie

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 01:30:06 am »
Welcome LillyPilly. I was like you 6 years ago counting the days until my machine arrived. I read through the forum, joined in the conversations and this made the waiting even harder. Please continue to join in our conversations before your machine arrives and ask questions.
I'm sorry I'm a bot of a techno phone so can't help you with your query. Maybe you could just write the entire word. Eg reverse, knead etc.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/