Author Topic: Converting Question for Mandarin Cake  (Read 8560 times)

Offline TMX Newbie

• View Profile
Converting Question for Mandarin Cake
« on: October 14, 2014, 06:36:26 am »
I am trying to convert a recipe for a flourless Mandarin Cake & the recipe says you need to simmer 3 whole mandarins for 2 hours (making sure they are kept covered with water)...

Can anyone tell me what I could do for this step in the TM5? :-\

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Converting Question for Mandarin Cake
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 07:48:06 am »
i'm not a good cake cook but would probably steam them.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:50:57 am »
Welcome to the forum TMX Newbie.
Place the mandarins in the steaming basket add 1 litre of water to the TM jug.Place the steaming basket into the jug and steam 45 minutes/ Varoma/ speed 3.
Or you could follow CP's recipe for Mandarin Cake.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Shally

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:33:46 am »
Not sure if this helps but I make Nigella's Clementine Cake. Her recipe states to simmer clementines much like your mandarins. I found a useful time saving tip to cook the fruit whole in the microwave. I put my fruit in a microwave able bowl, add water (about a third of the way up the fruit) put a lid on the bowl and cook on high for 10 minutes (I do start checking after 5 minutes and turn my fruit over). When the fruit is cooled - I then blitz the contents of the bowl; water, peel etc to a purée. I also buy the larger bags of clementines, because I pour my puréed fruit into freezing bowls and freeze. When frozen transfer purée  from bowl into freezer bags (gives me use of bowl back). When I want to make a cake - I remove purée from freezer bag and defrost the purée in the original freezer bowl overnight. The next morning the mixture may have separated a little but this is fine - stir and use all the liquid, don't be tempted to throw the watery looking liquid away.

Increase microwave cooking time as required for double or more fruit quantities.

Hope this helps

Shally
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:53:11 am by Shally »