Author Topic: New bloke on the block - total newbie  (Read 15046 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: New bloke on the block - total newbie
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 09:27:59 pm »
Well done all round.  Looking forward to hearing more of your TMX / life adventures as time goes by.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 11:08:29 pm »
Well done. My DH thought I had lost my mind when I said I wanted a cooking machine that costs $2 k. Well, after six months of owning this machine, he was a total convert and often asks "can your tmx cook this etc?"
From Perth WA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 11:18:39 pm »
It must have been so hard telling your Mum you are moving to the other side of the earth RC but if she knew you were with a lovely Aussie girl, deep down I'm sure she already had those fears.  Perhaps she could come with you and start her own new life over here ;)  Your Mum sounds fun! That risotto recipe was a great choice, it's my favourite risotto recipe too.  Do you fly helicopters RC?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 12:06:58 am »
Love your stories, RC!!  ;D  I must say you're doing very well as a self taught tmx-er!!  Do you think your Mum will eventually get one of her own?   

Looking forward to Round 3! ;D ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 03:08:29 am »
Hi and welcome, love your intro. :)

Great to have some guys on here too.  Hello to your wife 2B aswell.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 06:31:05 am »
Welcome RC! What a great intro to the TMX, the forum and your mum 😄😃😆

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 07:00:44 am »
So glad that your cooking is turning out great RC.  Will give you great confidence and you never know, perhaps your Mum will get her own when yours goes to Australia.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 07:17:41 am »
Well done RC.  And another convert.  Might be easier to leave Thermie behind for her.  Soften the blow of your departure.
I am sitting here marvelling at how much you sound like my cousin....I hope if he was immigrating he would have let me know. However.
Denise

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 02:19:06 pm »
Fabulous that you are having so much fun. Enjoy! Love reading your adventures.

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 06:06:35 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »
Great job RC - so pleased that you liked the Creamy Prawn Risotto.  The addition of haddock sounds just about right too.  Haddock is not so readily available here in Oz - used to love it when I lived in Scotland.  Oh your poor Mother - so sad for her to watch you come to the other side of the World - don't suppose there is any chance that she might come to live here too sometime?  My son and daughter in law have just bought a house in Melbourne and I live in Sydney - I cried for days when they told me they might move.  Now Melbourne is really not that far away compared to 12000 miles so I don't feel quite so bad. I a sure that all will be well though as us Mothers realize that everyone has to make their own lives.  Thank goodness for Skype and email - it does make the World a bit smaller. 
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline Rotorchef

• This thing chops and slices too.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 01:38:40 pm »
Good Morning everyone from this side of the planet,

OK - I think I will make this my last post in the 'introduce section' as I fear I may have highjacked a thread albeit innocently.  :)

Before I update you with last nights efforts, oh yes it was put through its paces last night too, I thought I would answer a couple of specific posts. So in no particular order;

Judydawn - Thank you! My mum is rather fab if honest, I am very lucky! Yes I do fly helicopters, again I am incredibly lucky there too. The profile picture of mine is actually the helicopter that I am currently flying.

Goldfish - Do I think my mum will get one of her own? Hmmmm well it is her 60th (Oh hang on, is that a secret?  :P)   next year and I thought I may look to get her one if she continues to enjoy it. Although this could be dangerous grounds though, a kitchen tool regardless of how amazing it is may not be sending the right message. I will defer to the wiser ones among you to counsel me accordingly I think.

Bedlam - No win situation for me I fear. I leave the Thermie behind to ease my departure for my mum and I am heading into a whole world of culinary woe from the Mrs2B! Not the footing I want to start things off on. I think I will have to use the tactic of getting mum out to Aus for extended periods at a time to not only see us but also to use the TMX!

Oh, as for sounding like or maybe even being your cousin....I only have one observation and question. If I were your cousin, why oh why would you not have shared your knowledge of a TMX with me sooner?  ;D

Obbie - Thanks for the welcome to both me and my wife to be. She is lurking on the forum as I gave her the details and she was chuffed when she read your post!

So, to last nights efforts.

First off I should point out that this recipe is NOT mine, but one that I took from the September issue of Waitrose Kitchen magazine (I hope this doesn't cause any issues! Apologies in advance if it does).

Red lentil, butternut and coconut curry.

Serves 4

1tbsp vegetable oil (I used rapeseed)
2 onions (I used red onions)
2 green chillies (ermmm I used green ones)
100g fresh root ginger
coriander
200g baby leaf greens
1tbsp mild curry powder (I had to use medium as that was all we had)
150g split red lentils
500ml coconut water
250ml water
500g butternut squash

OK - so all the ingredients are there - check!

Right then, how do we put all this into the TMX?  What settings, speeds, temps, directions of blade do I use now etc etc......and there it was. It hit me, full speed and full on, I really had no idea of how to 'free style' with this kitchen tool and wow did I wish that I had chosen to get a demonstration and a cookbook before diving headlong into it.

Alas there was a dinner to prepare and a fully qualified, ever expectant hovering Thermomix mum lurking somewhere on the ground floor never more than a soft bounding step away from me to reach over and take the helm of a dinner disaster in the making. Be under no illusions, instructions or not this HAD to work.

So without any nerves as I knew we could always make a killer risotto if all else failed, I decided in true SAS fashion to crack on after all, "Who dare Wins"......right?

The above ingredients were introduced into the TMX in the following fashion / way. (I have tried to emulate the writing style of other helpful recipes on here and clearly this is what 'happened' for me. Those in the know will probably adapt accordingly)

1) Onions, Chillies, Ginger in the TMX Speed 7, 10 seconds - OMG.........what have I done? There is just his colourful finely chopped but oh so fragrant mess all up the sides of the mixing bowl. I think less speed and time will probably suffice next time.

2) Oil into the mixer (clearly after scraping down the sides to ensure it actually sautés 'something') - 6mins, reverse 3, 100deg.

3) Coriander, curry powder (see the note above about the 'heat' of the powder. I used medium and it turned out just fine but I like hot food - suggestion is adjust to personal taste.) 3mins reverse speed 3 100deg.

4) Add the coconut water, water, lentils and the butterfly attachment. 30mins, reverse 2, 80degs (measuring cup removed but basket to prevent any splatters). Again, this duration and heat will be dependant upon how you all like your lentils. I personally prefer a little bite to mine and not a stodgy mess. Its up to you  ;D

5) Add the butternut squash (carefully to avoid hot splash back)12mins, reverse 2, 80degs - See the above note about personal preference.

6) Right at the end, add the light greens (spinach) 2mins, reverse 2, 100deg.

nb - There are clearly a couple of things that you can do to amend this to your choice etc. I am thinking of using a hotter chilli the next time we make it and using less powder but that is just me. If you like a creamier texture then I would use some coconut milk in addition to the coconut water or one could always add a touch of cream, creme fraiche etc it is totally up to the individual.

Oh - the decimation (and not the culinary definition either) of the onion, chilli & ginger didn't seem to have too much of an adverse effect either although for a greater texture maybe less speed and less time  :-[

I have attempted to attach a photo of the effort so that people can get an idea. It may not look the best but I can assure you it tasted great. Given that I am a self confessed carnivore I didn't miss the absence of meat!

TTFN

RC
Remember - the little blade at the rear goes really fast and makes a big mess. Stay away from it!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 01:49:17 pm »
Rotorchef thanks so much for sharing your cooking experience, I really really enjoyed reading your post. Was very entertaining :) and made me lol on several occasions.
Oh and well done to your conversion of the curry it really does look great. Bet the smell was Devine too.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 02:02:19 pm »
That curry... And your conversion ( i.e., that of the recipe ;)) looks terrific! So much so, I'll be preparing this tomorrow ! Thank you!! (And please don't stop posting here....love the continuing saga! )

Incidentally, you may want to give that curry of yours a thread of its own so it doesn't get lost! :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 02:35:14 pm »
Very entertaining post RC, you sound like you would be great fun in the kitchen.  I only chop onions, garlic etc for 2 sec/speed 5 but it really doesn't matter and you have already made a note that your chopping time can be a lot less.  You'll learn something every time you cook something. I think you are very brave to be cooking without using a TMX recipe book and just winging your way through the recipe as you go.  Hats off to you.

Thanks for sharing with us, it's great having you on board.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:19:28 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.