Author Topic: Lime and Ginger Marmalade recipe help  (Read 14784 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Lime and Ginger Marmalade recipe help
« on: September 15, 2014, 12:29:59 am »
I've got some limes and a lot of lemons to use up so was thinking of making lime and ginger marmalade for my Dad. I've looked for recipes and haven't found an exact one but did see this one on taste and thought I might be able to swap the grapefruit for limes. I've not made much jam and don't eat marmalade so hoping someone might let me know if the flavour will be ok. I'm thinking of using the method used in Chookies carrot and lemon marmalade. Any thought or ideas would be appreciated.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8315/grapefruit+and+ginger+marmalade

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Lime and Ginger Marmalade recipe help
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:51:40 am »
Wonder, you may have even seen this, but here's one suggestion. It gives the recipe... http://m.dummies.com/how-to/content/limeginger-marmalade.html

Can't help beyond that. Chookie would definitely be the one to advise you ...Good luck! The flavours sound wonderful!

Bonsai

Re: Lime and Ginger Marmalade recipe help
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 01:33:08 am »
I'm sure substituting limes for grapefruit would work perfectly Wonder. Wish I'd thought of adding ginger to my batch!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 01:50:53 am »
Thanks for that link goldfish, it's pretty much exactly what I was after although I'll used the crystallised ginger because I have a lot of it, even with all my googling that recipe hadn't come up.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 03:21:07 am »
You're welcome, Wonder. Glad it was helpful... you've now got me thinking about that flavour combination! ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:23:57 am »
Had a look at GF recipe.  Looks good but seems a bit too much sugar.  Could easily use the Lemon and Carrot process.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:37:58 am »
I ended up using the method and rough quantities and method from Chookies Carrot and lemon recipe, but used approximately 350gr limes, an orange and one lemon, and added 200gr sliced crystallised ginger when adding the sugar. Think I cooked it a little long, but at least I'm sure my jars are sealed properly. I'm not a marmalade eater but just had some on toast and i might be converted.

Dad will complain about the thickness but hopefully he will like the flavour.

For some reason tapatalk won't let me post a photo. I'll have to try again later.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 06:55:47 am »
Wonder,  if you think the jam/ marmalade is too thick,  before you bottle it,  you can add a bit of water and boil again for a couple of minutes. 

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 07:48:20 am »
Thanks Chookie but it's all bottled. I has a little on toast and while it is pretty solid when you take if from the jar it spreads easily enough. My Dad will always complain regardless - always too thick or too thin, my husband says I should be so used to it that I can ignore it these days, but I still always strive to get him to compliment rather than be negative.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 08:05:18 am »
Ha, Wonder.  Tell him you made some but knew he wouldn't like it so gave it all away. ,!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 10:13:58 am »
Wonder, parents are like that.. hard to please.. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 12:19:24 am »
That might well be the end result Chookie. We are away at the moment and I left the jam on the bench, DD sent a text saying her boyfriends family are loving the jam  ;D