Author Topic: Model upgrade  (Read 4087 times)

Offline samanthahobbs

• View Profile
Model upgrade
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:34:16 am »
Hi, I have the TM31. Given a new model has been released, and TM31 is no longer being sold, does this mean I cannot get parts as required?
I recently had to purchase a new lid seal. Whilst on the phone I was told that in the future I will need to purchase a new blade because they eventually go blunt.
I asked how long they last and could not get an answer. Was told it depends on usage and that "you will just know when the blade needs replacing."
I was told by my Thermomix consultant that as long as I put ice in the bowl and crush it, the blades will stay sharp. But the person on the phone (when I had to get a lid seal) told me that is an urban myth.
I rechecked with my consultant who assured me that is what consultants are told to tell their customers.
So which is it? Can anyone assist. Is it a waste of time to put ice in the bowl and crush?
Do I need to replace the blade eventually? How long should they last? Are there any other parts that will need replacing in the future?
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks, Sam

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Model upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:21:35 am »
Hi Sam... I was told that about the ice also.. And that was around 2011. We don't know where or how that "tip" originated but it really isn't so. Yes, your blades will need replacing at some stage or other but the more you get to use and know your machine you'll know when things aren't quite right.

Parts and service for the Tmx31 will be available for some years I believe. I have the 31 and if the service for and the durability of the previous model (the TMX 21)is anything to go by, you and I are quite safe!

Any questions or worries you have just pop them on here and you'll get ideas, help, suggestions from a lot of very caring people!! :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Model upgrade
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 05:15:12 am »
Sam, don't worry about new parts - we have been assured they will be available for many years to come for the many thousands of TM31s out there.  Just imagine the backlash if this wasn't true - the release of the new model caused enough trouble so imagine all of us owners getting our backs up if this wasn't so.  I think my blades were 4 yrs old before they were replaced but others are earlier than that and some seem to wear them out quite often.  Some DH's have been know to sharpen them themselves so there is always that option as a last resort.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 05:19:36 am »
I have 2 bowl & blade sets, and DH has sharpened one set once, never needed replacing in the approx 3yrs I have had my machine (touch wood!)
:D

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 05:42:55 am »
Hi Sam my machine is about three years old I have replaced the blades and sharpened the old ones and  they seems just as good now. 

Offline samanthahobbs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 08:15:15 am »
Thanks everyone.
MyTM31 was purchased about 4-5 yrs ago and I use it quite regularly.
Sometimes when things don't appear to get chopped up well, I thought it was because there was too little produce in the bowl and it goes up the sides therefore missing the blades. Or is that more likely the blades?
I struggled making a Thai green curry paste the other day  - the ingredients just wouldn't get chopped up and whiz into a paste properly.

I am assuming to have the blades sharpened I should have a professional knife sharpener do that for me?
Sam

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:08:05 am »
Sam if you are not confident in doing it yourself then  get them professionally done,  they are a bit awkward because of the shape.