Author Topic: Fast and Easy Cooking (UK): Raspberry Crème, p.192  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Siren

• View Profile
    • Bibliobubble blog
Fast and Easy Cooking (UK): Raspberry Crème, p.192
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:16:12 pm »
This recipe is an absolute winner!  In essence, it is an egg custard, poured hot over frozen raspberries (still in their frozen state), then served a few minutes later, by which time the raspberries have defrosted and the custard has cooled to room temperature.

To our taste, the recipe as written is a little too sweet, but this was easily fixed the second time we made it, by using 35 to 40g sugar instead of the 50g stated in the recipe.  I used the variation with whole eggs rather than egg yolks, with the seeds of a vanilla pod instead of vanilla extract.

As a trial run, I made up a batch with 1/3 quantities (that is, two eggs), serving it over mixed frozen berries including blackberries, strawberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants.  That was when we discovered that it was too sweet for us, but it showed that the basic method worked well.

My plan was to serve the raspberry version for pudding at a family get-together.  Just before we sat down at the table, I made the full quantity, reducing the sugar as indicated above. I left the custard to cook while we ate our starter, then just before serving the main course I whizzed it up again quickly with a little cold milk (following the tip in the recipe), as it seemed to look a bit scrambled.  I was left with the most gloriously smooth custard, so I spooned most of it into six ramekins over frozen raspberries before we ate the main course, leaving it to stand until we were ready for pudding.  The dish was a big success with everyone -- not least because our guests were impressed that I managed to cook egg custard while sitting eating with them, in a different room!

Since I was serving only six people at the meal but the recipe serves eight, I put the unneeded custard into a bowl in the fridge.  My student son tells me that it is pretty good straight from the fridge the next day, without any fruit.

It strikes me that this recipe is a perfect example of how to show a Thermomix to its best advantage, demonstrating the ease with which you can create dishes which are a bit labour-intensive by hand, and showing how it helps you to save time and concentrate on having fun with your guests rather than slaving over a hot stove.
Linked CC
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:34:32 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fast and Easy Cooking (UK): Raspberry Crème, p.192
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 12:46:19 am »
Great review, thanks Siren.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:26:19 am »
Sounds great Siren

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 04:13:26 am »
Yum!