Author Topic: Mashed potato & vege at same time  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Chellerin

• View Profile
Mashed potato & vege at same time
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:30:22 am »
Wondering if I can steam vegies in the veroma while potatoes are cooking in the mixing bowl as in the EDC recipe?
Chelle

Melbourne, Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mashed potato & vege at same time
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 03:51:08 am »
Not whilst you are following that recipe Chellerin as it is only cooked at 90o.  I cook my potatoes in the steaming basket on Varoma temperature with 600 mls boiling water in the bowl then I can steam vegies above in the varoma dish & tray.  Just empty the water, add the cooked potatoes with a little butter, cheese if using (I don't) and milk (I find it doesn't need much milk at all).  I use the butterfly and only mix for 10 seconds on speed 3 or 4, scrape down sides and do a little longer and add a little more milk if necessary.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chellerin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:07:13 am »
Ok I get it as to use the veroma you need the veroma temperature. ( I haven't used the veroma yet) I only got my TMX yesterday & traditionally tonight is steak night my DH favourite so I was wanting to cook vegies all at once in the TMX to show him it is of 'some' use.   
Chelle

Melbourne, Australia

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 04:08:34 am »
I do the same as JD but I haven't tried mashing with the butterfly I just use the blades but you have to be really carefull as you can have glue in do time. ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 04:41:36 am »
Are you going to try and do the vegies tonight then Chellerin, a pity to not to use the TMX for something simple like steaming vegies.  The hardest part is getting the timing right and that depends on how big or small you cut your vegies.  Trial and error really but once you've got the hang of it, you will be right - this is the only way I cook my vegies now.  If some veg cooks before the other, you can always keep it warm in your thermoserver if you bought one.

Offline Chellerin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 07:25:02 am »
I cooked the kids veggies this morning in the basket & they took forever. Think I might have had the basket too full ( right to the top) then I did the potatoes as per the EDC recipe & they even took longer than what the book said. Defiantly going to be trail & error.
I usually have broccoli & cauli cut in big chunks like a flower if that makes sense & carrot just cut in half. Will I need to cut everything up smaller? Kids eat at 5.30 so all I need to do is microwave theirs when we get home from sport then DH & I eat about 7.30 so I'll cook fresh again. 
Chelle

Melbourne, Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 08:08:59 am »
Yes I slice my carrots about 1 cm thick.  I usually have my basket full to the brim, hard vegies on the bottom then layered with other veg eg carrots, potatoes, cauli, pumpkin then add broccoli a bit later if there's room (or I use the varoma dish for anything extra).  The more vegies I have the more boiling water I use - if basket is full and there are vegies in the varoma dish I use a litre, set time for 20 minutes to start then add more time if needed, removing anything that is already cooked if necessary.  I use speed 3 or 4 when steaming vegies. Medium sized potatoes I cut in quarters.  The bigger they are the longer they'll take to cook as you know.  The more you do it, the quicker you will have this steaming method working for you. 

Offline Chellerin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:39:08 am »
Yeah. It was a success 30 min everything was cooked perfectly & the mash was the best creamiest mash I've ever had!
Chelle

Melbourne, Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 02:10:24 am »
I'm so pleased for you Chelle, I hope DH was suitably impressed.

If he's a meat and 3 veg man and hopefully likes chicken, I'd put this Chicken Kiev recipe on your menu plan.

Offline Chellerin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 03:01:55 am »
Thanks Judy I will check it out.
Chelle

Melbourne, Australia

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 05:01:25 am »
I'm glad you have mastered it Chelle. Some people never use their Varoma which is a pity. You may also like to try Baf's Chicken.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=5526.0
It is a tasty all in one meal. There are several variations too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/