Author Topic: Helene's Whole Orange Cake  (Read 4217 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Helene's Whole Orange Cake
« on: August 27, 2014, 02:08:19 pm »
Has anyone made this? I made it today and was very disappointed. 6 eggs, and it was heavy and dry. I followed directions exactly. I made 8 small cakes and 1 round cake.

They looked like they rose and then deflated. I've never had that happen with a cake before. It even tastes 'floury', yet has no flour in it. I was concerned that there's no fat other than that from the almond meal and egg yolks.

Won't be trying again using that many eggs!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Helene's Whole Orange Cake
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:27:56 pm »
Sorry MJ haven't made this cake.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 02:44:38 pm »
I've made this one before an its very moist, also good for cupcakes. Stephanie Alexanders is also lovely.

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:15:55 pm »
Thanks CP, but I'm looking for an almond one as I love the ones from Dome, but they're too sweet.

I'll try again with this recipe, converting to the Thermomix, of course:

* 2 Valencia oranges
   * 3 eggs
   * 1 cup caster sugar
   * 300g almond meal
   * 1 tsp baking powder
   * Orange Syrup
   * 1 Valencia orange, extra
   * 3/4 cup caster sugar, extra

Method:

* Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius. Grease a 22cm cake pan. Place whole oranges into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins until tender. Drain. Repeat. Refresh under cold water and drain.
   * Coarsely chop warm oranges and remove and discard and pips. Place into food processor and process until smooth.
   * Using electric beaters, whisk eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. Add processed orange mixture, almond meal and baking powder and gently fold until combined. Pour into pan and bake for 1 hr. Cool.
   * For syrup, remove peel from orange and cut peel into thin strips. Place into a saucepan, cover with water and boil for 5 mins. Drain, returning water to pan and set aside peel. Squeeze juice from the peeled orange, and add to pan with sugar. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves and syrup thickens. Spoon over cake. Sprinkle with orange strips and serve.

At least, I'll only waste 3 eggs and at best will have a nice dessert tomorrow night. I won't make the syrup, but will top with a cream cheese icing flavoured with orange zest and top with some candied orange rind.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 08:55:50 pm »
It is a shame that yours failed.  I make one regularly that I got off SBS's food programme a couple of years ago - it's a Jewish cake and incredibly easy and quick.  I cook the oranges in the microwave and they take about 5-6 minutes.  Make the almond meal first, set aside, then the eggs and sugar go into the TMX for a couple of seconds, add the oranges and turbo to break them up for about 4 seconds, add everything else and blend for about 3 seconds and it's done.  Really, really simple and quick and tastes great.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:40 am »
I've seen that recipe, Marina. Maybe I'll try again and microwave the oranges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:19 am »
Good luck.  I use raw almonds, not blanched, so the appearance of the cake is a little darker than the lovely golden colour you get with blanched almonds.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.