Author Topic: Hello from Eire  (Read 9504 times)

Offline D12e

• View Profile
Hello from Eire
« on: August 25, 2014, 10:07:59 am »
Hi Everyone! I am a bit of a gate-crasher on here as I have just borrowed a friends Thermomix while they are away for a week as I am deciding whether to get one myself or not. ??? I was at a demo night last year and was very impressed but the cost DID put me off (I was pregnant with my 4th at the time so felt I couldn't commit to a large outlay).
So far I have been trying easy basics such as risotto, soup, jam, hazelnut spread, scones, almond milk, icing sugar, scrambled eggs...
Today I intend to make bread, mayo for coleslaw, a batch of baby food and start on some cooking sauces/pestos for when I have to return the Thermomix.
I would really appreciate any recommendations for a few simple family dinners to try out this week as my time is limited with the machine so I want to make the most of it.
Also, do you find you use the machine daily? How long do you think it takes to pay for itself? I am not a very adventurous cook but I am a big baker as a lover of bread and cakes - I use a bread machine for some of the breads I make so would this replace the bread machine? Also, we have a small pizza oven - what is the pizza dough like? Any recommendations for specific recipes for pizza dough?
Thanks so much for any help you can offer  :)

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Eire
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:18:37 am »
Welcome to the forum , I still due use my bread maker if I'm busy I can just throw everything in but I do love the dough made in the Thermomix, especially the soft white rolls from Tenina,  I use the basic pizza dough all the time, wonderful.  I use my TMX a couple of times a day, this morning for Porridge, apple and cinnamon, lunch was a quick veggie soup, and tonight I steamed broccoli and cauliflower in the basket then made some cheese sauce with the water in the bowl, yummy.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 10:32:07 am »
Hello, welcome to the forum. What a wonderful opportunity for you to test the Thermomix out before commiting to a purchase. It's a very generous friend you have there.  We are completely biased here on this forum about the machine so you won't get too many who would not advise you to dig deep and buy your own at some stage.  There are very strong rumours that a new model is about to be released in September and if you're looking for a second-hand one I'm sure there will be plenty on ebay or Gumtree once the new model is released.  They do hold their value though so don't expect a bargain basement price.

If you like to make your own bread, you can't go wrong with the Thermomix.  Check out some of our bread & cake recipes, see the photos and read the reviews and you will be convinced in no time.  

Chelsea's prawn risotto is a real winner and I'm sure other members will give their favourites too, including the best pizza dough. You've certainly done a lot so far.  CP's favourite list has a great range of recipes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:34:29 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 10:32:19 am »
Welcome D12e.
How lucky that you get to try a a Thermomix before committing to buying one.
A few recipes for you to try whilst trying out the TM
Plain White Rolls -no Fuss makes a great loaf too.
Bafs Creamy Chicken all in one meal.
Fluffy Pizza Bases
ILB Chocolate Cake
We are all TM enthusiasts here and love our TM's. I use mine everyday.It will save you money.
Any more questions just ask someone will answer ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 11:30:00 am »
Welcome to the forum D12e.  Enjoy the time with the TM.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:31:34 am »
Hi and welcome.  Don't want to twist your arm but I think it would be perfect for you.  Saving money? Yes it does for me.  Make all my own bread.  Costs $1, compared with buying it for $3/4 a loaf.  I sometimes use the TMX to knead and then bake in Bread machine.  The instructions are on here.  Pizza dough recipe is excellent.  Process for making cakes is a bit different but plenty of recipes  here.  You might also like the Veroma, ( steamer) for veggies for the littlies.  I also make custards, jams and sauces.   Hope you enjoy playing with the machine.  You should be able to decide if it is for you.  Have fun.

Offline D12e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 12:38:41 pm »
Thanks for the tips everyone - I will certainly get on with your recommendations this week, I think I'm pretty much convinced to invest in one already and I've only used it for the past two days!

I have just made the delicious Cheesy Puff recipe I found in your Kids forum as my 3 yr old won't try veggies but loves cheese and bread so I blitzed the courgette and onions and told him they were herbs in a cheese bread  :D !
Going to try some basic bread now..

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 02:27:15 pm »
Welcome D12e. I think you have been given a lot of information already. I love baking bread and make 3-4 loaves a week. I also make different breads for the fun of it. I would say that the bread I make has paid for the thermomix a couple of times, without anything else. It is so easy to wizz up sauces and custards. Many of us make all our own jams as well.
I use mine at least twice a day, probably more like 4+ times.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 12:52:12 am »
Welcome to the forum D12e :)  Have fun using the TMX.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 06:28:09 am »
Hi and welcome
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 08:49:09 am »
Hi and welcome to the Forum D12e  You may not want to part with your friends Thermomix on her return.  I too use my thermomix 2 - 3 times a day.  And while I do use my bread machine for convenience I love making bread and rolls in the Thermomix.  I also make pizza dough to use in my pizza maker - so quick and easy.  I make soups, sauces, steam vegies and cheese sauce.  Great for sauces, spice rubs, biscuits, cakes, rosotto and baby/toddler food for my grandbaby (another on the way - woo hoo).  You are going to be so lost when you have to hand that baby back that I think you will have no trouble justifying the cost (the next thing of course is to come up with the funds)  Good luck and enjoy
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:22 am »
Hi and welcome.  :)
Quite frankly - yes, the TM will save you money, and is worth it.  :D
From another mum of 4  ;D
:D

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 11:54:01 am »
Hi and welcome. What a good friend to loan you a tmx. It's awesome, you'll love it.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 08:50:44 am »
Welcome D12e, I have not taken my bread machine out of the cupboard since I got my TM.  I find I use it most days but can go a few days without using it sometimes and there are some recipes that I jsut do the old fashioned way. 

Our daughter only ever cooked from packets until she got her TM. now she amkes he own jam and has catered her own parties using it.

Offline D12e

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 10:02:46 am »
Hi All, I just wanted to say you were all right - I hated handing the tmx back to my friends at the start of September! I had a demo of the new model 2 weeks after it was launched and took delivery of my own a few days later. So far I have found I use it at least once a day but usually 2 or 3 times so I am very pleased with the purchase.  :)