Author Topic: Eggs "en cocotte" with Spinach  (Read 17751 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Eggs "en cocotte" with Spinach
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:43:58 am »
Name of Recipe: Eggs “en coccote” with spinach

Number of People: 4

Ingredients:

50 g gruyère
40 g butter, soft
200 g of spinach, fresh
1 pinch of salt, more as needed
700 g of water
4 eggs, at room temperature
pepper
100 grams of bread made into toasted to soldiers

Preparation:

Put gruyère into the TM bowl, grate for 4 seconds on speed 5, remove and set aside in a bowl.

Put into the TM bowl 30 grams of butter, spinach and salt, cook for 10 minutes at 100°C on Reverse + Speed  1 with the Measuring Cup tilted. Remove and set aside. 3.

Pour the water into the TM bowl, bring to boil for 6 minutes at 100°C on Speed 1.

Meanwhile, distribute the spinach into 4 ramekins that have been well greased and sprinkled with grated cheese. Break an egg into each ramekin, season well with salt and pepper. Place the ramekins into the container of Varoma.
Position the Varoma and cook for 10 minutes at Varorna temperature on Speed 1. Serve the eggs accompanied with toasted bread sticks.

Variation: Eggs “en cocotte” with ham.
Instead of spinach sprinkle half of the cheese into the ramekins. Break an egg into each ramekin and flavor with a little salt & herbs.
Put some diced ham around the yolk. Sprinkle with remaining cheese & put ramekins into the container of Varoma.

Photos:

Not yet

Tips/Hints:
Adapted/translated roughly from A Tutto Vapore - Full Steam Ahead
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Depome

• View Profile
Re: Eggs "en cocotte" with Spinach
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:42:36 pm »
Wow, sounds yummy. I only know eggs en cocotte with a tomato sauce, which I really love (for the tabasco I think  :P) so I'll share it as another alternative for anyone who loves a cooked breakfast, like us  :)

Recipe is essentially all from A Commonsense Guide to Healthy Cooking, by Murdoch Books.

1/4 - 1/2 supermarket sized bunch of fresh chives to make 2 tbsp when chopped
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
3 vine-ripened tomatoes (about 300g) supposedly peeled and seeded - pft! I use one can whole roma tomatoes

1/2 tsp olive oil
4 eggs
Tabasco sauce, to taste
4 slices thick multigrain bread
butter

Chop chives for a few seconds then remove from bowl.
Add garlic and chop, before scraping down sides, adding olive oil and sauteeing for 1 minute on 100 degrees and sp 1.
Add tomatoes to the garlic/oil, season with salt and pepper, and cook at 100 degrees for 15 mins on sp 1-2. Sauce needs to thicken so you may need to reduce temp to 90 degrees and remove the MC for the last few minutes.

Grease 4 ramekins with the 1/2 tsp olive oil, then crack an egg in to each one, trying not to break the yolk. Pour sauce around the egg yolk so that it is still visible. Add a little Tabasco to each ramekin, then sprinkle with some of the chopped chives, and season again.

Cook as TMX-er listed about, only until the egg white is set. Serve with chunky toasted bread spread with butter :)

I love these really simple tomato sauces that have just one ingredient to turn them around completely, e.g. some Tabasco, or simmering with a whole chilli that has been top and tailed, but is removed prior to serving.

Y'know what? I think I'll go and make this now. Thanks for the push TMX-er :D

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:45:40 pm »
Forgot to point out and praise that it's easy to add Tabasco to taste for the adult portions, but keep the sauce plain and simple for the children, which I'm about to do :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:56:33 pm »
Good work Depome - I have posted your recipe under breakfasts - it deserves a Topic of its own.  :-* :-*

BTW - The recipe above is from the Full Steam Ahead book - I have made it but realise that i haven't put pics in.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:49:16 am »
Thank you both, something else to add to our Varoma repertoire.  Another way to use up some of the excess Christmas ham.

Thermomixer, anything that has toast soldiers has to be good!
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/