Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Toprider

• View Profile
Newbie question
« on: August 17, 2014, 06:53:21 am »
I am waiting for TMX31 to come soon and I want to ask about apartment  usage of thermomix as I am aware it can be noisy at time and I was wondering  if I should get a wooden board with rubber mat on top for thermomix to be placed on marble benchtop or gas stove as I don't want to disturb other apartment residents especially with a baby in the apartment above.  Any suggestions? Thank you. Toprider

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:22:19 am »
Hi Toprider, I don't think the TMX is that noisy, maybe if you are crushing some ice or similar. I have when my Grandson is asleep and iam doing something noisy like crushing some nuts just for a few seconds , put a large towel folded over the TMX  this deadens the noise, but usually it isn't that load.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 10:19:13 am »
Hi Toprider, welcome to the forum.  I guess you have to be considerate of your neighbours if living in an apartment, you will soon find out if and when the noise disturbs them.  If you can hear the baby is up then I guess that would be a good time to do some heavier jobs (like filling up the castor sugar container by grinding sugar, it doesn't take long to do a few batches or making almond meal if you know you will be needing it that day).  General chopping of vegies is very quick and the cooking process is also reasonably quiet.  Pureeing soup only takes a minute or so but I guess you could use a lower speed to keep the noise down.  I find ice, nuts and raw chick peas have been the noisiest to grind.

Good luck with this little problem, I don't think it will cause too much angst amongst your neighbours especially if you hand over the odd plate of muffins or biscuits  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:43:48 pm »
Hi Toprider, I think anything that is noisy is usually quick, I'm sure it won't be a problem.
Denise

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:15:02 pm »
Hello and welcome, toprider.  As everyone has said, most of the noisy operations are of very short duration ... many less than 10 seconds, with the exception of things like ice, chickpeas or making meal / flour from wheat, almonds, etc.  I have not had to worry about the noise aspect, but the suggestion of a heavy towel over the TMX sounds like a good starting point (you may also want to experiment with the 'chimes' when a cooking cycle is complete to see how far that sound travels).  Good luck with everything, you will love having the TMX.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 01:04:05 am »
Welcome Toprider. I think everyone has already said the important things. I agree that a plate of food occasionally and open communication with the neighbours above should solve any noise problems. Good luck.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 08:27:00 am »
Welcome top rider. Good advice. A loaf of bread goes down well with neighbours. Good communication all,around but I doubt it will be a problem .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 05:42:57 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Toprider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:01:51 am »
Thank you for all the replies so far.  Waiting for the TMX to arrive in a few days time so will  remember to plan to chop earlier in the evening and then set aside to cook later . The consultant did mention the towel as well.  Thank you Toprider