Author Topic: Fermented Vegetables  (Read 14798 times)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: Fermented Vegetables
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 06:44:14 am »
I'm going to pink farm's class on fermenting in October. Looking forward to it.
Will look forward to hearing what you think

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 11:48:59 am »
That's great Emme. I've been reading about the benefits too & know the naturopath only recommended a 1/4 cup a day. Adding dukes flakes is a good idea  too.  A course on fermenting would be good to go to & interested in any tips INAID.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 11:55:55 am »
Did either of you see catalyst recently when they talked about bacteria in the gut.  Basically they have found a link to many illness's and different gut bacteria. Even things like autism and asthma.  It was in two parts and worth looking at on iview.  If we eat a lot of processed food it feeds the not so helpful bacteria but lots of veges and wholefoods feed the bacteria that keeps us healthy.  It certainly made sense to me. Vinegars where also helpful.
Denise

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 12:24:01 pm »
Yes I did Bedlam, was fantastic to see. I also went to a movie night on Friday called over fed and under nourished. So much rang true to me. For me it's about finding a good balance. We still eat gluten but little to no processed/ additive food, little sugar and trying to grow lots of our own food, investigating fermented foods and teas and soon chooks. :)

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 01:01:56 pm »
We did too & was great to see such a documentary on main stream tv.  We too are trying to find a good balance and cut out as much processed food & make things like fermented vegetables. It's been great, positive benefit weight wise, DH candidia but we still haven't been able to get him mouth ulcer free. I'm read about the movie too might have to download it.

Offline LillyPilly

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 11:30:41 pm »
The Weck jar fermenters look great. I'm still using a crock I got on sale 30 years ago at Myer. It was made in the UK and labeled as having a lead free glaze so I grabbed it. Glad I did, I never saw another one like it.

The one thing I can contribute to this discussion is that I've found sauerkraut tastes much nicer if it is fermented slowly. I've read that it is a slower vegetable to ferment properly and is healthier if left longer, but I don't know if that is true or not. I usually leave mine for 8-12 weeks, in cold weather. That said, I wouldn't turn my nose up at one done faster in warmer weather 😋

One veg I tried that I haven't read about anyone using is sliced choko. It is lovely!  I used a combination of dill, cloves, garlic and I can't remember what else, just the usual dill pickle seasonings...mustard seeds too, I think. The flavour was very good and the texture was firm and crunchy, not crispy like a cucumber. Oh, a few green tea leaves for the tannin, which helps prevent fermented pickles from going mushy. 3% brine as unlike cabbage it doesn't release enough liquid to cover itself. Only did a small quantity as an experiment, but this year I'm going to do lots!

I've tried brine fermenting a few different fruits, but none were to my taste. I ferment grated carrot and green beans in a large jar, for the dogs who think it is great, but I don't like the flavour, myself.

TM5, delivered 05/11/2014 😍

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 08:35:39 am »
I was at a course on lacto fermentation last weekend. My body responded in an incredible fashion. So much happier and head heaps clearer.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 01:39:45 pm »
That sounds interesting. What changes have you made to your diet?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/