Author Topic: Full Steam Ahead: Blue Cheese Flan page 42  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Siren

• View Profile
    • Bibliobubble blog
Full Steam Ahead: Blue Cheese Flan page 42
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:19:04 pm »
I made the Blue Cheese Flan (page 42) at the weekend, and it was very good -- although I think the result was a bit heavier than it should have been, possibly because my whisked egg whites separated in the fridge.  My husband said he would like to have it again sometime, and I think it could easily be modified to incorporate other sorts of cheese or other ingredients.  They came out almost like a very light dumpling, rather than the soufflé-like outcome that I had hoped for from reading the method, but they were mild-tasting and pleasant.

I'm not happy with the egg-white beating instructions, or maybe I'm just not happy with what the Thermomix does to my egg whites, since they separate into a light foam and a watery puddle if you set them aside for a few minutes.  But I have since read some recommendations to apply heat while whisking egg whites, and I will try that next time.

I'm also not convinced by the sauce-making instructions in the recipe, and would prefer to make my sauce base at speed 4 so that it doesn't stick around the central spindle.  After following the recipe instructions, I had to scrape everything about a bit and blitz it on a higher speed to get rid of the blob.

But steaming a soufflé mix is an interesting technique, and I will definitely make this recipe again (with those two technical modifications).  I would suggest that a light cream sauce would go well with it, unless the texture changes radically after making the modifications above.  Although the recipe is presented in the book as a first course, serving four, I served two of the flans per person as a main course, alongside a dressed green salad, which worked well.  
Linked CC
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:35:08 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Full Steam Ahead: Blue Cheese Flan page 42
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:38:21 am »
Thanks for your review Siren.  This is exactly what we like to read and I agree that the sauce needs to be mixed at a higher speed as we do our bechamel sauce which is cooked at speed 4.  Since FSA was printed some methods have changed so do try the heating method with the egg whites and see if you are more satisfied with the outcome.  I don't eat blue cheese myself but I know others love it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Full Steam Ahead: Blue Cheese Flan page 42
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 01:30:08 pm »
I like the sound of these. I'm afraid that I have only made a few of the recipes from this book.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/