Author Topic: Quirky Cooking- Cabbage patch soup with sweet potato mash (pg 98)  (Read 5608 times)

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
I can't believe no one else has reviewed this recipe - apologies to the mods if I'm mistaken and just couldn't find other reviews.

It was AMAZING.  I made this for a guy friend, and he raved and BEGGED for a take-home container.  

This is really more like chilli con carne than a soup - but way way way better.  

The combination of the sweet potato mash on the bottom, and the "noodles" of the cabbage, and then the yummy flavour of the soup itself- just really enjoyed it.

I used canned coconut milk when making the sweet potato mash, and would really recommend it, since the coconut flavour comes through very nicely.

The mixing bowl is FULL (past the max line) which made me nervous, but the varoma on top kept things contained.  There was definitely NOT enough room to stir in the cabbage, so we just did the bowls with a couple scoops of mash, a bunch of cabbage, and then the soup ladled on top.  With a dollop of plain greek yoghurt to finish it off.

This would be awesome for a crowd - I was imagining it for a super bowl party here in North America.  If I was doing it for more people I'd increase the amount of sweet potatoes and cabbage by another 50%. and maybe increase the amount of beans if I could fit it in the mixing bowl!
Linked CC
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:36:12 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
Re: Quirky Cooking- Cabbage patch soup with sweet potato mash (pg 98)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:19:13 am »
Laura - I'm with you!

I loved it too. I had left overs for the next few days as no-one else in my family liked it - their loss my gain!

I did cut the water back a bit though as I like thick soup, not runny - if that makes sense.

I loved the coconutty flavour in the sweet potato, YUM!

Offline Mixing_Liv

• View Profile
Re: Quirky Cooking- Cabbage patch soup with sweet potato mash (pg 98)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:06:35 am »
I really liked this soup too! Because I'm trying to be conscious of calories I didn't have the mash sweet potato but it was still awesome! Added extra chilli and it reheated well all week for lunch. Yumo!