Author Topic: Wagon Wheel Slice  (Read 11492 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: Wagon Wheel Slice
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 02:14:39 am »
Funny my base mixture was very buttery and soft, not floury at all! I think next time I'll try pressing down more firmly to get a thinner base as it also looks a bit thick to me.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 02:31:52 am »
I made this last night and it is a hit! 
I had to use nearly a whole pack of marshmallows to get pretty good coverage, so maybe my slice tin was a bit bigger than it should have been. The slice base isn't crumbly though -maybe thinner works better? I did press down pretty firmly, and had also mixed it longer than the recipe stated until the base dough was coming together (was still very floury/dry after the time in the recipe), if that makes a difference.

It's a good thing I am taking most of it to an afternoon tea today as it is far too delicious!

Ah maybe that is the thing - mix it longer! I always mix cakes a lot less than the recipe says as I think the TM beats the poor things to death! This one obviously needs a good flogging!! :o
Will try that next time.

In the essence of research and development (and scoffing ourselves silly on yet another batch of wagon wheel slice  :-)) ) Miss 17 made it again yesterday. Only problem was Miss 17 and I ate sampled tested a couple too many marshmallows and there wasn't quite enough to go right over the top  :-)) :P ... you do need to use more than half a packet if you want them touching side by side  ;D
Tip** don't test the marshmallows, you do need a fair few!

The base is still a bit crumbly and I cooked it 5 minutes less at the start, so will try jo's tip above.

I'd love to post  a photo but it seems it's not only the marshies that have been well sampled!  ;D ;D

Offline kyton

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 11:44:35 am »
Made this today for kids hip hop classes. Everyone really enjoyed it. I think next time I will heat the jam to allow for easier spreading.
Kylie

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 11:42:51 pm »
Kylie - I did heat the jam (sorry I forgot to mention that!) and it does make it easier.