Author Topic: Starting from zero, with Thermomix  (Read 11579 times)

Offline arafalov

• View Profile
Starting from zero, with Thermomix
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:59:57 pm »
Hello,

I am a newly single (male), absolutely useless in a kitchen and hoping to change that. I am moving to Montreal (Canada) and setting my new kitchen from scratch and am 110% sure that Thermomix will be my first big purchase for it. I am hoping to start by cooking easy newbie foods with it, then graduating to learning to cook complex foods. Since I am single, I am also interesting in the bulk cooking/cooking for the freezer approach.

Given that it's a new kitchen, I would also appreciate any advice on building a kitchen around Thermomix. As in, what other tools/gadgets would I need to maximize the benefits? I guess microwave, but is there benefit in getting combo/convection microwave or even fancy super-steamer microwave. Anything else?

Regards,
   Alex.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Starting from zero, with Thermomix
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 02:11:21 pm »
Hello Alex, welcome to the forum.  Mmm, this is a tricky one - we've not had a question like this before.  You definitely won't need as many kitchen gadgets, most of us have got rid of excess electric appliances in the past but since this forum began we have also bought many new items :D  Things like pie makers, pizza makers, slow cookers, air fryers as they are all useful at some stage or another and with most of us being women, someone only has to say they've bought something and like it and we all want it  :-))

Since the TMX came into my kitchen 6 years ago I have rarely used a saucepan and only occasionally used a frying pan.  I do have a couple of Weber BBQ's though as I prefer to cook my meat outside than mess up the oven.

For the TMX, I find you need quite a few silicon spatulas and you will also need a casserole dish which will fit into the varoma dish for steaming the odd recipe. It's best to take your varoma dish along when you are ready to purchase the dish.

Others may add some thoughts to your question.  Good luck with your new life.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:53:38 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 02:30:14 pm »
Welcome Alex.It's very exciting setting up a new kitchen.Its also very difficult to advise someone on what appliances to buy as we all cook differently.If you can attend any demonstrations run by manufactures of appliances and read reviews on any appliance.
Good luck with your move to Montreal.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:16:41 pm »
Welcome Alex.  I would assume that you will have a oven.  A small electric hand beater is handy.  The type of microwave will depend on how much cooking you will be doing.  A vacuum sealing machine is handy for freezing soups etc.   leave space on your bench for the TMX to sit.  A couple of good brushes and several spatulas.  Cupboard space to store TMX  servers and Varoma.   Have fun and let us know how you go.   

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:37:56 pm »
A very warm welcome, Alex!  It's excciting to be establishing a new kitchen!  Take it slowly and add to it as you need to.  I still have a good set of digital scales next to my TMX - they always come in handy.  I don't use microwave, but wouldn't mind a turbo or convection type oven.  My present gas stove must be 25++ years old ??? - when I get around to replacing it, it will be a gas cooktop (I find them much easier to control heat quickly) and an electric oven.

Good luck with it all!!  Look forward to hear how you're getting on . . . :D

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:20:24 am »
Great question Alex! I am sure you'll get some ideas in here.

A drawer (or drawers...I have 2 deep and 2 not so deep ones :o) to store your plastics (ie Tupperware or similar) in for your "to be cooked" food.

A decent sized freezer for your cooked food. The little ones on top of the fridge just ain't gonna do the job!

A big pantry so you can have a good stock of items, so that when you have a big cook up, you have all the basics in there ready to go and you aren't popping down the shop for those forgotten items.

An oven and cooktop. I have a double oven (both the same size) and I use them both a lot.

I have my Thermomix (both of them)  in an appliance cupboard with all the bits and pieces that goes with it. I have them both on a thin plastic mat so I can slide them in and out of the cupboard.

Hope this helps  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 01:24:12 am »
Hi Alex and welcome to the forum. An entire new life is opening up for you. The thermomix must definitely be kept on the bench. Definitely some good rubber spatulas. I wouldn't buy them until you have the thermomix. Then you can find exactly the shape you want. There is a wonderful thermomix blogger called Helene in Canada who sells the best type of atlas for the thermomix.
http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/
Her blog is fantastic. For other bits and pieces I would wait until you find you have the need for them and then buy. That way you won't end up with useless stuff.
A little hand beater will be useful and also small bowls or plastic containers for when a recipe says "grate cheese and set aside".

You will find everyone on this forum extremely helpful, so please feel comfortable about asking anything at all. We offer a 24/7 service.
Good luck with your new life.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 02:01:27 am »
Hi Alex, great idea to buy a TM as you'll never regret it. As for what to buy, It  really depends on what you like cooking. A lot of recipe books have a list of essential utensils at the front. Not sure about steam ovens as I don't have one, and steaming can be done in TM or if you have a Romertopf. As said above, silicon spatulas and hand mixer. Maybe a pizza stone. I do have a Kitchenaid but I do use my TM much much more. I have a pasta attachment for my KA which is much less back breaking than the pasta machine. I also love my pressure cooker and Le Creuset. I have some stainless steel bowls in lots of different sizes. I couldn't be without my big box of baking paper either.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 02:57:52 am »
HI Alex and welcome to the forum. As you can see you will get a lot of advice here. Enjoy.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 04:20:37 am »
I've seen a kitchen designed around the thermomix. Might be on the my dad's got a thermomix blog.

Offline arafalov

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 04:47:38 am »
Thank you everybody. I can definitely see the 24x7 aspect of the community already. Hoping to contribute to it, once I get off the ground.

Thanks for the suggestions and the links. I can see quite a number of resources are in Australia as well as Canada, which is just great as I am Australian and travel back home periodically. So, I guess my next trip I will be carrying back some cookbooks rather than just Rum&Raisin Chocolate (can I make that in TM?).

Thanks for the link and mentions to various equipment. As I said in the beginning I am very much a non-cook so far, so it's a new world. And I haven't even heard about Romertopf before.

And LoL on the Dad who built his kitchen around the Thermomix (I found the FB link). As opposed to him, I did not actually mean it that literately. I meant gadgets/tooks, rather than architects and remodeling.

Again, thank you all for very warm welcome.

Regards,
   Alex.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 05:18:56 am »
Hi Alex and welcome. Looks like you've been given some great advice above. Good luck with your kitchen.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 06:04:45 am »
Lots of TM recipes out there Alex. This might be a nice one for you to try.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 06:15:20 am »
Hi Alex and welcome. :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 08:01:07 am »
Alex we have rum and raisin ice cream and rum and raisin banana cake. It would be easy to soak your raisins in rum, melt the chocolate in the thermomix and combine the two.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/