Author Topic: HOLIDAY THREAD  (Read 150171 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: HOLIDAY THREAD
« Reply #510 on: July 07, 2015, 05:56:18 am »
In the past month we have been to both Sweden and Colombia and because these two trips were so close together I have decided to join them into one post.

We were in Stockholm at the end of May / early June so that DH could attend a violin maker’s congress.  Because of time constraints we couldn’t travel out of Stockholm itself, but there is so much to see and do there we were kept fully occupied. 

As Stockholm is built on many, many islands, we were surrounded by water and we did one of the many canal trips one day that gave us an idea of this wonderful city.  The old town was beautiful with the old cobbled streets, squares and lime washed buildings – it made it very easy to get around. 

Food was very much seafood / meat / dairy sauce based so, being a vegetarian was a bit of a challenge at times.

On our first night we got directions to a nearby vegetarian restaurant.  So, off we went, only to find that it was closed for renovations so DH and I wandered around for a while before settling on a likely looking restaurant.  DH had a kebab, which he said was delicious (I had to take his word on this) and I ordered a fetta salad – I don’t think the cook knew a lot about salads, though, as it appeared that he had taken ½ an iceberg lettuce, put it on the chopping board and hacked at it a couple of times with a meat cleaver then put his creation on a plate, drowned it in oil, added four slices of tomato, two entire (unchopped) spring onions and three slabs of fetta.  It made for an interesting, unappetising meal.  Sadly, I didn’t think to take a photo ... I was too overwhelmed at the end result to want to record it for posterity!

One thing that we really noticed was the green stuff growing everywhere ... yes, vibrant, green, green grass ... the real thing!  I had forgotten just what it looked like.  Everything looked so lush and alive.

Three weeks after getting back home we were off again to Bogota in Colombia to attend my youngest nephew’s wedding.  We arrived after 41 hours travel (which included a 12 hour stop over in Santiago, Chile).

Santiago seemed sad and dull – it is showing the effects of the past couple of decades of neglect, which was a shame as it had some beautiful buildings – it just looked unloved.  Admittedly we didn’t have a lot of time to see much and I am sure there are some very lovely areas.

We arrived in Bogota eventually and headed off to our apartment which we were sharing with family from Australia and Scotland (a total of 9 of us).  It was great catching up with my sister, my other nephew and his new fiancée as well as our cousins who had travelled over from Scotland.

Driving in Bogota is hair-raising.  Many of the roads are approx. 3 lanes wide, but did not have any lane markings – it was interesting to see how three lanes turned into six lanes - and driving is really a matter of playing “chicken” ...  if you saw a space you went for it.  I sat in the front of the taxi once, but refused to go in the front seat again, I couldn’t bear watching!  However, we survived, although my nephew said that he generally saw at least one accident every day on his way to or from work.  Also, something I had never seen before, at many major intersections there were performers who would come out in front of the waiting lanes of cars and perform acrobatic and magic tricks ... very brave people, in my opinion!!

We managed to get out of the city for one day and night to a stunningly gorgeous village called Villa de Leyva which is 3 hours north of Bogota.  We spent all day wandering around – the village is one big photo opportunity.  The central church was simple and lovely – as soon as we went inside we felt instantly at peace.  There was a CD of unaccompanied hymns playing softly in the background, so we just sat and soaked up the atmosphere.

Our hotel was small, just seven rooms surrounding a central courtyard.  It was one of those places you walk into and feel instantly comfortable.  We also had our 38th wedding anniversary here so it was a memorable day. 

Back to Bogota and the big day which, coincidentally, was on my birthday.  The bride and groom looked great, the Colombian wedding was brilliant and, even though we couldn’t speak Spanish or dance the Salsa, all us “Anglos” were made warmly welcome and we had a wonderful and memorable day.

We had one day more in Bogota before heading home so we visited the old town, which also had some beautiful old buildings and the biggest potholes in the roads we have ever seen!  We came across some street performers on one street who were very talented and ‘played’ to their audience of children who were giggling all through the performance – you couldn’t help but smile and enjoy the show.

On the way back home we stopped off in Santiago again, only for 7 hours this time, and saw a slightly different side of the city.  It was a bit strange that it didn’t really seem to have a CBD, which we are used to, but, if you looked carefully, you could find some shops.  It is a badly polluted city, probably because it is surrounded by very high mountains which trapped all the vehicle fumes, etc. (but we couldn’t see the mountains because of the smog). 
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 07, 2015, 06:47:20 am »
Thanks for all the information I have just gathered. They both sound like amazing trips, but fairly opposite in nature.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #512 on: July 07, 2015, 08:27:45 am »
Thanks Marina for such a beautifully written description of your 2 holidays.  Shame that you didn't have more time, but even when you do have, you can't see everything.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 07, 2015, 09:42:03 am »
Our motto is always leave something for next time. But I don't think that really applies overseas, more in Australia.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 07, 2015, 10:14:45 am »
A beautifully written account of your 2 holidays Marina, thanks for sharing the experience  with us. What a wonderful way to celebrate both your birthday and wedding anniversary.  Now back to the grind of earning a living.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 07, 2015, 08:20:06 pm »
Seeing as I managed to download one photo from our Sweden / Colombia trip of the Tony Abbott look alike in Tunja I thought I would try one of the courtyard in Villa de Leyva.  My DS in front, DH to the left and one of my nephews on the right and cousin in the background.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 07, 2015, 08:27:33 pm »
OK, one more try at a street scene in Santiago and DH and myself on our wedding anniversary in Villa de Leyva.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 08, 2015, 12:05:00 am »
Love everyone spreading their wings and having great holidays and adventures.  Yippee!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 08, 2015, 12:25:43 am »
So glad you managed to put the photos up Marina, it must have been so nice catching up with family from far and wide.  Beautiful photos.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 08, 2015, 01:44:20 am »
Lovely photos Marina. The courtyard is very beautiful, and I love the photo of you are DH. It's one to keep.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 08, 2015, 03:41:14 am »
Belated Happy Anniversary  Marina, lovely picture of you and your DH.
I really enjoyed reading your summary of your travels. Very interesting!

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 08, 2015, 07:16:38 am »
Thanks for sharing Marina. I love travelling vicariously.
Denise

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 08, 2015, 07:20:12 am »
What super photos.Its great to see your lovely face again Marina.I've only been to the U.S.A and Finland so it was lovely to hear about your adventures.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 08, 2015, 07:45:08 am »
What about Australia Denise  8)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 08, 2015, 08:20:58 am »
lovely holiday Marina. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url