Author Topic: Beetroot Ravioli with sage & poppyseed burnt butter  (Read 2434 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Beetroot Ravioli with sage & poppyseed burnt butter
« on: June 23, 2014, 04:43:31 am »
I found a recipe in this month's issue of Delicious for Beetroot ravioli with sage & poppyseed burnt butter.  I'm good at burning butter so will have to perfect that part of the recipe next time as although it does look burnt, it didn't taste burnt.  I think I'll do it in a stainless steel pan instead of a non-stick pan next time as you can't see what colour the butter is in one of those.

Ingredients  - I have not gone with the quantities in the magazine as it would have been way, way to much for a packet of wonton wrappers.  I halved the recipe and it made plenty of filling for a whole packet of wonton wrappers (30 in a packet).  I ate 3 for my lunch and have frozen the others.

20g grated parmesan or small cubes + extra to serve
1 large potato 165g cut into 2-3cm pieces
4 sm cooked beetroot 150g, roughly chopped - from a vacuum pack available in all supermarkets
120g ricotta - I used low fat
1 clove of garlic - I used 1/2 tsp Tenina's garlic paste or you could use a small confit of garlic to avoid the raw taste of fresh garlic
1 pkt wonton wrappers
S & P to taste

Sauce - this is the whole quantity of sauce from the recipe.  

125g unsalted butter
20 fresh sage leaves
1 tbspn poppy seeds

Method

Grate the cheese and set aside.
Fill the bowl with 1 litre boiling water, place the potatoes in the steaming basket and cook 15 mins/varoma temp/speed 3. Set the potatoes aside and drain the bowl.  Rinse it out with cold water to reduce the temperature of the bowl - it purees better if cold.

Add the beetroot, ricotta, garlic, parmesan and potato to the bowl and puree 10 sec/speed 6, scrape down the sides and repeat for a few seconds if necessary.

Lay 15 wonton wrappers onto your silicon mat and top with a heaped tablespoon of the mixture.  Brush around the sides with water, lay another wrapper on top.  I did 3 at a time.  Push down gently on the pile of filling to expel the air and press the sides together to seal.  

The recipe can be made ahead to this point, just refrigerate or freeze them until needed.

These can either be dropped into salted boiling water in a large saucepan in batches - cook for 3 minutes or until they rise to the top.

Or as I did, steam them with 1 litre of boiling water in the bowl and wontons in the varoma dish and on the tray for 12 minutes/varoma/speed 3.  You can fit 4 in each part of the varoma.  

Sage sauce This is the whole quantity, adjust according to how many wontons you are serving at the time. I made 1/4 of the recipe and it was too much for my 3 wontons.

125g unsalted butter
20 fresh sage leaves
1 tbspn poppy seeds

Melt the butter in a pan (preferably a stainless steel one as mentioned above) over medium heat, add the sage and poppy seeds. Cook until the butter is brown and the sage crisp.

Toss the ravioli in the sauce and serve with extra parmesan (I forgot the cheese).

These would be nice as an adult entrée for a dinner party and although time consuming to make, it is made easier because the wontons can at least be made in advance.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:47:50 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.