Author Topic: Cottage Cheese  (Read 16030 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Cottage Cheese
« on: August 09, 2009, 12:32:01 pm »
Not sure where to put this so put it under starters and snacks. Used to make it on the stove but so fuss free in TMX ;)
Cottage Cheese:
makes about 1 cup
Ingredients:
2L milk
90-100ml of white vinegar

Preparation:
1. Put 2L or 2000g of milk into TMX (whatever you use skim or whole or half of each)
2.  *:
3. 50C for 5mins or until it reaches 50C on  ^^
4. Turn off and add vinegar.
5. Let sit for 30min - Will separate into Curds and Whey
6. Put cheesecloth or chux cloth into strainer basket and pour mixture into it making sure you catch the whey. (Save whey for soups, casseroles, make ricotta cheese or at least throw it to the chooks they love it!)
7.Let drain for about 3 mins then rinse the cloth and cheese under cool water massaging with fingers.
8. Put cheese into container add salt if you like.

Tips/Hints:

If curds are too 'squeaky' use less vinegar
This can be added to Lasagna etc.
Paneer can be made like this if you use lime or lemon juice insted of vinegar.
Ricotta recipe coming soon....

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Cottage Cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 12:35:34 pm »
fabulous!

is it possible to do dairy free versions or only dairy?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 12:37:26 pm »
Interesting recipe Nay-nay.  You've obviously used this in recipes, how does it compare with the bought stuff?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:42:55 pm »
Karen: don't think it would work with non-dairy milks as it is a special reaction where the milk is curdled by the acidic substance. But could research it. It is a similar reaction that happen inside a calf's stomach.
Judydawn: Not exactly the same but I think it melts better. Can add some cream to it to give it the shop bought feel.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 03:11:21 pm »
Thanks nay-nay - do you ever use junket tabs?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 12:45:15 pm »
Yes - Have done before, but I thought vinegar worked out alot cheaper. Junket powder is about $11 for 15g (where I am anyway). I use it when I make the dessert (which is so much easier now with the 'blood heat' temperature on the TMX). The Dinky-di cottage cheese is made with rennet and takes overnight. I like this one better personally. :)

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 01:28:10 pm »
Awesome! would love a ricotta recipe when you get one!
Will try this one tomorrow. We love paneer. I Guess you would have to compact it in some way to make it a block. What do you do Nay nay?
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 03:00:15 am »
Awesome! would love a ricotta recipe when you get one!
Will try this one tomorrow. We love paneer. I Guess you would have to compact it in some way to make it a block. What do you do Nay nay?
To make paneer, start off the same as cottage cheese (no salt) but when you get to the stage of draining it in the chux pressed out excess water. Then put in chilled water for 2–3 hours to give it a good texture and appearance.
For a tighter, heavier cheese mold into rectangle, wrap in cloth and weigh down for  2–3 hours, and then cut into cubes to use in curries. Pressing for a shorter time (approx 20 min), will make a softer, fluffier cheese. I have never tried beating into dough or kneading by hand into a dough-like consistency but some do that as well before molding.
You can add chillies, onions and herbs, usually serve dry and garnished with spring onions.
To make a bigger lot you will have to get the big saucepans out as TMX is only 2L capacity and I only do this when I have excess milk - my cow has just had it's calf weaned so I have 10L a day to play with.
;)