Author Topic: Recipe Review - Quirky Cooking Almond Sunflower Seed Milk Pge 24  (Read 3901 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
I made this one today for something different as I normally make my own almond and cashew milk.

It separated immediately and was a nasty light grey colour. I didn't like the taste at all. I also found it difficult to strain as it became quite thick. I wouldn't cook this one if I made it again. I prefer almond and cashew.

Just realised that I had cooked this for 4 ½ minutes instead of the 4 minutes stated in the recipe. This could be why it separated and was thicker. Jo's recipes are usually spot on, so I'll have to try it again.

Linked JD
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:07:03 am by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Domesticgoddess

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Quirky Cooking Almond Sunflower Seed Milk Pge 24
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 03:40:23 am »
I also made this and found it great :) it does separate but the recipes states to shake before using and that brings it all back together. I was using bought almond milk in my smoothies and couldn't taste the difference between this and the bought almond milk in the smoothie. So for less than half the cost of buying it I am pretty happy with this recipe :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 12:34:50 pm »
I'm glad you had success with this one, Domesticgoddess. :)
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 11:57:55 am »
DS seems to have a cow's milk protein allergy and as I am breastfeeding, there is no dairy for me :(
I have tried a number of commercial non-dairy milks and after having some terrible experiences decided to make my own.

I was really happy with this one and will certainly be making it again...I didn't make any changes to the recipe and will make it the same way in the future.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 12:16:01 pm »
Oh Jamberie that is not good. I'm glad that you have found something that seems ok. Good luck.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 01:10:38 pm »
Oh Jamberie that is not good. I'm glad that you have found something that seems ok. Good luck.
After the terrible episodes of colic we have had here over the last couple of months, I can put up with being dairy free for a while!  At least there's Nuttelex for baking.

Update: I found this milk quite good in my decaf flat white, I still have to adjust my palate, but this was much better than others I've tried!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/