Author Topic: Cheesy Macaroni Bake with Butternut Squash and Greens  (Read 19919 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Cheesy Macaroni Bake with Butternut Squash and Greens
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:36:48 pm »
Cheesy Macaroni Bake with Butternut Squash and Greens:

Number of People:  4 - 6

Ingredients:
1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces
1 1/2 cups almond or soy milk
2 Tbsp cornflour
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 heaped Tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt (or not)
pepper to taste
450 g brown rice pasta-fusilli or other shape
1 head Swiss chard or other greens, washed, stem removed and roughly chopped
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs

Preparation:
Preheat your oven to c. 150 degrees (for my cranky oven it is 150, you will probably have to change this to whatever works for you).

Line a cookie sheet with aluminium foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.  Spread chopped butternut onto tray in one layer and lightly spray with cooking oil. Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes.

While squash is roasting, set a medium-large pot of water on your stove to boil.

Put cornflour, soy milk, nutritional yeast, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper into  *: and whisk 5 seconds until everything is well combined.  Follow EDC custard directions for cooking - 7 minutes, 90 C and speed 4.  

Add 2 cups of the roasted butternut and blend 15 seconds, speed 8.

Cook pasta and vege greens in same pot, drain and run cold water over it to stop the cooking process and to prevent it from becoming one big lump of pasta.

Place the remaining roasted butternut into the pot with the noodles and greens. Pour the sauce over the noodles and stir well. Transfer into a 9" x 13" casserole dish that has been sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Top with whole wheat breadcrumbs and bake for 30 minutes.

I was almost tempted to put this into main dishes, not into vegetarian meals (it is, in fact, vegan ... but don't tell anyone, they won't realise the difference).  Apart from waiting for the butternut to roast, this is a very quick meal and extremely tasty.  If you wanted, you could possibly put cheese into the sauce, but I really don't think it is necessary as it works really well as it stands.

I got this from Wendy Solganik  on her blog

Kmw: Good to know you can freeze nutritional yeast - Itsnotartitsfinner do you freeze in batches, defrost then use or use straight from freezer?

INAID: Kmw mine is frozen whole. It's one of those ingredients I've been meaning to use!

Cuilidh: Made a huge pot of this last night for our visitors (2 men) and said nothing until the end, when I told them they had just eaten a vegan meal ... and there wasn't a speck of anything left over by then, so I felt it was 'safe' to admit it.  Knowing that I only cooked vegetarian and that DH is lactose intolerant, they knew not to expect meat, but,even knowing that, they still thought there was cream in it.

Chookie: Made this today and liked the taste,  but will reduce the yeast to 1/2 a cup as I found it a bit strong.  Easy to make and looks better than in photo.  Will crisp up the top when reheated tomorrow. Thanks Marina.  

Had this reheated for dinner tonight.  DD. loved it and said she will eat this for Dinner with salad for the rest of the week.  The yeasty taste had lessened. I thought it was good as a side dish, DH thought the same.  The GC weren't crazy about it. Would make it again, not sure about reducing the yeast now.

Cuilidh: You could maybe drop the yeast to 1/2 a cup and up the mustard and garlic powder a bit to compensate with a bit more taste from them.  I generally measure the yeast a bit on the light side anyway because I do not like too strong a yeast taste - or maybe keep the yeast the same but use a bit more garlic powder and mustard anyway?  Perhaps I need to do a bit of experimentation next time that I make this.

Kmw:Had this tonight after freezing the sauce last week. Didn't get around to doing the breadcrumbs either. As mentioned the yeast is quiet a strong flavour so wasn't sure how it go but was pleasantly surprise once it was all put together & does have a cheesy taste. DH & I really liked it but our 21 month wasn't too keen. So verdict is I would make it again & would like to do the breadcrumbs too.

Katiej: I feel like I should apologise to you Marina, as I've been very un-pc and made a non vegan version of this tonight. I used cows milk and cheese. I asked my DH what he wanted for dinner tonight and he said Mac & cheese (which is one of his favourite things). I remembered this recipe and decided to try it.
We both really enjoyed this, the pumpkin and greens really added to it. Thanks for the recipe Marina, it was lovely.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:06:15 pm by Cornish Cream »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesy Macaroni Bake with Butternut Squash and Greens
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:00:00 pm »
Nice to see a new vegetarian recipe on the board Marina. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:43:45 pm »
Sounds delicious, must buy some nutritional yeast and try this. Pumpkin cooks beautifully in the AF.
Thanks for posting. Ps where's the cheese!
Denise

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:13:16 am »
No cheese, Denise.  The given name for the recipe was Cheezy Macaroni, etc.  Vegans seem to use the word Cheeze for vegan cheese substitutes.  I, being the pedantic soul that I am, hate the word cheeze so used cheese instead!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 12:52:25 am »
 :D :D Good on you Marina, I agree with you on that one.  It sounds a lovely recipe for anyone, not just vegans.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 04:45:12 am »
I got some nutritional yeast last week, will add this to the menu plan when we get home from holidays.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 06:40:55 am »
This sounds great. I do have some nutritional yeast in the freezer.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 12:15:44 pm »
Good to know you can freeze nutritional yeast - Itsnotartitsfinner do you freeze in batches, defrost then use or use straight from freezer?

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 03:50:09 pm »
Great to see a new recipe as I think it's been quite a while. Never heard of nutritional yeast, something to look up. What is a butternut squash - a pumpkin? I thought squash were the little flying UFO saucers. What is meant by whole wheat bread crumbs - whole meal bread? Would you say bread that you've ground wholly from the wheat "granule" (not sure if that's  the proper word, or berries)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 04:55:54 pm »
Here you are CP Butternut Squash.  ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 10:51:14 pm »
CP, I didn't think an Aussie would not know butternut squash, although I tend to think of them as a cool climate vegetable so perhaps they are not so common over in the West!  I love them and it is about the only pumpkin I use in my cooking.

I would imagine you could use any breadcrumbs, and I am pretty sure wholemeal and wholewheat breads (or flours) are much the same thing.

To be honest I didn't do the breadcrumb thing, I stopped after I had everything combined in the pot.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 12:37:02 am »
We call that a butternut pumpkin. Thanks for the link to check.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 02:43:40 am »
Ahhh, sorry CP, my error there!

I have just edited in the correct speed and timing for the sauce component.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 06:31:37 am »
Kmw mine is frozen whole. It's one of those ingredients I've been meaning to use!

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 01:37:39 pm »
Thanks on the menu plan for the week, DH has been dairy free for nearly 3 months so hopefully it will be a nice change for him.