Author Topic: hello from Canberra….  (Read 5369 times)

alexquake

hello from Canberra….
« on: April 15, 2014, 12:28:18 pm »
Hello, im a mum to three from Canberra and I'm waiting on my thermie.. :)

Im an obsessive foodie who once travelled to Italy to learn how to cook risotto the 'right' way. If you'd said to me three weeks ago that I would be forking out the equivalent sum of a developing nations GDP on a kitchen implement I would have spat my chardonnay out at you.

….But then I attended a demo…and everything changed. More importantly, hubby attended with me and was asked by the consultant to hop up and make the lemon custard all by himself (smart consultant canvassing for the "bloke" vote). Everyone at the Demo oohed and aahhed at the custard and hubby was impressed with himself…

So now I am awaiting the arrival of Thermie (ill give it a proper name when it arrives..a bit like babies, I'll know what to call it when I see it) and I am thinking what will I cook first???

I am not sure a risotto is the right thing for my family (they are a bit spoilt when it comes to italian dishes given my culinary learnings in this area) so any suggestions are welcome because I don't want to end up with the world most expensive and quirky flower vase.

I would also love some advice on how i might convert some of my existing recipes from the multitude of cookbooks I have acquired over the years (I stopped counting after 345…. :-))

Would also love to hear from other Canberra Thermo'gals about their experiences and also if they have attended any of the classes and if they are worth it.

…now to wait….

Cheers
alex

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: hello from Canberra….
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:39:34 pm »
A warm welcome to the forum Alex. :)
I would suggest Vegetable Stock Concentrate to cook first in your TM first.Its used in many recipes ;)
As to conversions,find a similar recipe in the EDC or perhaps here on the forum and be guided with times and processes.
Good luck and have fun with your TM ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: hello from Canberra….
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 01:06:39 pm »
Hi Alex and welcome :)
I'm in Canberra and have attended just about every type of class. The basic and varoma classes are a good refresher and I always look out here for hints of other classes too. I've been to the Devil of a Cookbook class (excellent) and the Louise Fulton Keats Cooking for your baby and toddler Seminar (just okay), advanced Yeast class (excellent). I figure any class is worth it if it makes you think about/use your "quirky vase" more efficiently/differently or just get reinspired to try new recipes.
Now that I've been to a few, I tend not to go to the basics or varoma unless the 'menu' is significantly different :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:17:57 pm »
Hello Alex, welcome to the forum.  Check out some of the recipes which have become favourites here, CP did a great job putting this list together.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=6470.0

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 01:19:05 pm »
Welcome Alex ... Having my husband attend the demo it was how I got ours as it was him that said get it I was worrying about spending that much.

CP's list of favourite is a great list to get ideas on what to cook, soup was the first thing I made being winter when we got it.

Enjoy cooking 😄

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 01:32:10 pm »
Welcome Alex. You won't regret your purchase. Please free to ask anything at all on here and hopefully you will make some of our recipes and report back.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 04:44:04 am »
Hi and welcome
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 08:08:54 am »
Hi and welcome Alex.  :)
You will be very unlikely to end up with your TM as a vase seeing as you have already discovered this forum!!!  ;D
Read any reviews before cooking, this will help your disasters be few and successes many.
How old are your children?
:D

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 10:15:54 am »
A very warm welcome to the forum Alex.  If you love cooking then your thermie will be a well loved addition to your kitchen, an extra pair of hands that saves you so much time.  Enjoy!!!

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 11:25:24 am »
Hello Alex and welcome.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 11:33:15 am »
Hi Alex and Hubby, you will get so much enjoyment out if your Thermomix when it arrives, I love mine.

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 12:07:39 pm »
Hi and welcome Alex
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 01:47:29 pm »
Dear Alex I've deleted you by mistake.Please rejoin.
CC moderator.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 11:19:35 am »
Thanks for rejoining Alex.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 11:45:59 am »
Yes, I see you are the latest member.  We knew genuine forum members would want to rejoin, thanks Alex.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.