Author Topic: Chocolate Mimosa Cake (with photo)  (Read 6409 times)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
Chocolate Mimosa Cake (with photo)
« on: April 14, 2014, 02:33:55 pm »
Hello everyone

It's been a while I wasn't much around.
I was in Istanbul for a 10 days holiday. I had some repairs at home.
I was also busy with preparing our small piece of garden for spring-summer. I still have a lot of things to do. I am not an expert when it comes to gardening. I research, read, observe and try to practice a lot. I see that I am improving every day. This year I am working on seed-starting. Let's see if I will be able to start some of my own ;)

Today I would like to share the chocolate version of classical yellow mimosa cake.
Mimosa cake is a popular cake in Italy which is made for specially for Women's Day as mimosa is the symbol of the day in Italy.

I hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:
Cake:
250g flour
20g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 sachet of baking powder (15g)
1 sachet of vanillin or 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
200g peanut oil
5 eggs (each 60g)
250g sugar
A pinch of salt

Syrup:
100g water
50g sugar
50g Rum

Filling:
250g fresh milk cream (35% fat)
250g mascarpone
250g Nutella, at room temperature

Preparation:

Cake:

Place a large bowl over TM Lid. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla sugar. Set aside. Mix all the dry ingredients with a spoon.

Place a jug over TM Lid. Pour in oil. Set aside.

Place eggs, sugar and salt in TM Bowl. Mix for 50 seconds on Speed 5.

Start TM on Speed 5. Add oil slowly through the hole of TM Lid. Gradually add flour mixture by spoon through the hole of TM Lid. Mix 1 and half minutes until smooth.

Grease a 26cm cake pan and cover with a baking paper. Pour the mixture in. Bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven at 160°C. Check doneness with a toothpick. Bake some minutes more if needed. Turn the oven OFF, let the cake cool for 10 minutes inside the oven..
    Remove from the oven. Remove from the pan. Let it cool several hours.

Syrup:

In a clean TM Bowl put sugar and water. Warm for 3 minutes at 100°C on Speed 3. Open the lid. Let it cool for 5 minutes inside TM Bowl.
    Add Rum and mix for 3 seconds on Speed 3.

Transfer into a bowl or a jug. Let it cool.

Cream Filling and Cake Preparation:

Cut cake into 3 layers.

Insert Butterfly in a clean and wiped dry TM Bowl, put cold cream and whip for 2 - 2.5 minutes on Speed 3. (If you’ve never prepared whipped cream with Thermomix before, I would recommend you to read some important tips I mentioned down here.)

Put mascarpone and Nutella in a bowl. Start Themomix on Speed 2. Add mascarpone and nutella through the hole of TM lid. Mix for 20 seconds on Speed 2. (If needed mix a bit more with TM Spatula)
    Brush the bottom layer with the half of the syrup. Spread half of the cream over.
    Carefully place the 2nd layer. Brush with the remaining syrup. Spread the remaining cream on the top.

Break half of the 3rd layer into several pieces and place in TM Bowl.

Hit Turbo button several times until you have it crumbled.

Spread the crumbles over the cake. Do the same with the remaining half of the 3rd layer and spread it on the top.

Let it rest in the fridge at least for 2 hours before you serve. (In my opinion if you prepare it the day before it tastes even better).

ABOUT WHIPPING THE CREAM:

I hear and see that some Thermomix users are experiencing problems when it comes to whipping cream.
I once experienced something similar myself and I ended up with butter instead of whipped cream.
After that day I searched and read many comments. I saw that my mistake at the time was my TM Bowl wasn't dry (wiped) enough and I went over Speed 4.
I collected some tips and instructions. Since then I whipped cream with my Thermomix endless times and I never failed.

I always use Fresh milk cream with 35% fat.
The content of milk cream may change from country to country. You should check out what is written on the box, if it is suitable to whip or not.
I heard that cream with 48% fat whips even easier but I haven't tried myself. 35% works just fine for me. I often use this cream or this one. You of course have other brands in your countries, I just wanted to show you the ingredients of mine.

Ingredients:
250g fresh milk cream (35% fat) (COLD)

Preparation:
    Insert Butterfly in a clean and dry TM bowl. Add cold cream. Whip it for about 2 -  2.5 minutes on Speed 3.

Important Tips:  
    * The cream should be fresh and cold to get the best results!
    * Another important thing is that TM Bowl must be clean and dry. For the recipes that require several steps you may need to re-wash TM Bowl. In such cases it is important to wipe TM Bowl thoroughly before you start whipping.
    * If you use 500g of cream you will need to whip approx 2 minutes more.
    * Whipping time may change depending on the amount and the quality of the cream. While whipping you'd better always keep an eye on the cream through the hole of the lid and stop as soon as it is whipped enough!
    * While whipping don't go ever over Speed 3! Otherwise, you risk to end up with butter instead of whipped cream!

I hope these tips works also for you.

Photos: http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.it/2014/04/chocolate-mimosa-cake.html

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Chocolate Mimosa Cake (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:22:17 pm »
Your cake looks absolutely delicious, Farfallina.  Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:43:22 pm »
Sounds delicious Farfallina.  I love your step by step instructions (and photos) too.  I've copied it to my files, thanks for posting.  :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:53:39 am »
Lovely farfallina. Like JulieO I love all the step by step photos. I noticed that you weigh things using a container on top of the thermomix. I often do the same.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:24:58 am »
Beautiful cake farfallina 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.