Author Topic: Pancakes vegan  (Read 15630 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Pancakes vegan
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 07:04:10 am »
Interesting Judy. I know garlic haters who have not a clue what it really tastes like when in cooking. They may not like the smell but not know when it is in a recipe.  I pay no attention to garlic and anchovie haters in my cooking. If you eat anchovies on their own they may taste fishy but if you have anchovies in a sauce you wouldn't even  know so long as they were cooked into it.  Same with a reasonable amount of garlic especially if you use confit garlic.

Never had a guest complain about either. And I confess I may have pre-empted any possible complaints by saying I know you do not like garlic/anchovies and let them draw the obvious conclusion. LOL!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 12:34:49 pm »
I have no idea Judy. I use Tenina's Garlic Paste. I guess if it isn't over powering at all he isn't aware of it.
Gert I always pop a couple of anchovies into my lasagne and spaghetti bog. I think it works a bit like the Umami.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 02:37:39 pm »
An interesting conversation.  I have been vegetarian for 30+ years ... officially I am an "Ovo-lacto" vegetarian because I also eat eggs and dairy products.  There are some people who eat white meat but still say they are vegetarian because they don't eat red meat - in my opinion they just want to be 'trendy' by labeling themselves vegetarian, similarly those who also eat fish.  Like everything in life, you can make something as confusing or easy as you like!

I actually cook 100% vegan food as DH is lactose intolerant (but he does eat meat and fish ... he calls himself a 'vegetarian by marriage').  I think we must be quite challenging for people to invite around because of what we do and do not eat, but there is a huge range of fabulous food out there and I am picking up more and more ideas and reicpes all the time. 

Marina,
My DD describes her  vegertarian ways by saying she doesnt eat anything with a face. She isvlike you and eats eggs and dairy!
Denise

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 01:12:46 am »
Gert, loved your story about Jennifer and Clarissa, can imagine they would have both been a riot to know!

I am a tad envious!

I get the feeling at the moment it is "cool" or "trendy" if you have an alternate way of eating. I find it a pain in Gert's rats aspidistra! 

I was at a café the other day, a lady ordered a toasted Panini, when it came out she said "oh, I can't eat that... I am gluten free, ooops, I forgot to tell you that, sorry" and laughed.  :o
Now if she was really GF, then she would have asked before she ordered. I think she was trying to look good in front of her trendy friends. She just looked like a bloody idiot to me.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 01:49:36 am »
Gert, loved your story about Jennifer and Clarissa, can imagine they would have both been a riot to know!

I am a tad envious!

I get the feeling at the moment it is "cool" or "trendy" if you have an alternate way of eating. I find it a pain in Gert's rats aspidistra!  

I was at a café the other day, a lady ordered a toasted Panini, when it came out she said "oh, I can't eat that... I am gluten free, ooops, I forgot to tell you that, sorry" and laughed.  :o
Now if she was really GF, then she would have asked before she ordered. I think she was trying to look good in front of her trendy friends. She just looked like a bloody idiot to me.

SOAPBOX WARNING!

I hope they made her pay for it. That is such a food waste . If I were the owner I would have not only made her pay but wrap the thing up and tell her to take it to a homeless person so it is not wasted.  Why can' these people just go about their ordering in a quiet way. I don't have to shout out that  I eat gluten. meat  vegetables, fat and another thing before I order.  For all our sake get a grip.  There are so many choices on menus  and usually mix and match. If you cannot choose a restaurant that suits then stay home and don't whine about it.  If I go to a vegetarian place I don't complain because I can't get a burger! If I were a strict vegetarian I am sure I could order a meal to suit from any menu offered with a minimum of fuss. If I were gluten free I would not order a Sanger would I?

We have one coffee group member that always comes to every meet up and always complains that she can't eat anything. She never even has a glass of water because she does not know where it came from. She came to the Christmas lunch where there were over 40 choices on the menu but she could not eat anything on it so left. I asked her, why, if she enjoyed the company ,she did not just bring something  from home and her reply was why should she. Ya can't win with some.

I just don't get what all the fussiness is about. Maybe  being up here in the deep north I am out of the trendy loop. My main complaint is that places do not use fresh local food but it won't kill me to eat crap once in a while so I can enjoy good company. God knows I have had to drink enough bad wine to enjoy good company.

Gert
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:54:29 am by Gertbysea »

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 01:52:11 am »

Marina,
My DD describes her  vegertarian ways by saying she doesnt eat anything with a face. She isvlike you and eats eggs and dairy!

Now that makes sense to me. Smart girl.

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 01:52:56 am »
Thank goodness the wine in Adelaide was good Gert  :D :D :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 01:55:24 am »
Thank goodness the wine in Adelaide was good Gert  :D :D :D :D

And the company.

Gert

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 02:25:06 am »
Loved your soap box warning Gert - and I agree with you whole heartedly!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 02:51:11 am »
Loved your soap box warning Gert - and I agree with you whole heartedly!

Me too. I would have seen that the lady who wouldn't eat the Panini looked like wearing it.
DD went to a focus group at a large suburban shopping centre the other evening. She said there were 2-3 women who were pains in the neck. They wouldn't be seen dead in Priceline, or the Reject shop etc. DD had one of her LV handbags with her and said she is often in these 2 shops plus others that are similar.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 03:23:06 am »
Some people are just a bit too precious for their own good.

We're all the same really, we get out of the bed in the morning and we all go to the toilet.  :-))

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 05:57:23 am »
Agree wholeheartedly nikkit and Gert.  Raw and gluton free seem to be the trend at present. People with true dietary issues quietly get on with it.
Someone told me that a long time ago, nikkit, we all get up in the morning and ablute. Worth remembering when you come across interesting characters that think they are so much better than the rest of us.
Denise

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 06:23:15 am »
From pancakes to ablutions. This forum has it all.  ;D ;D

Gert

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 07:03:01 am »
We have varied conversations in this melting pot forum!

Love it  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 11:14:28 am »
We'll get this world sorted out eventually.   :D ;D ;D ;D