Author Topic: So pleased to meet you! My name is Cathy  (Read 10254 times)

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
Re: So pleased to meet you! My name is Cathy
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 04:53:57 am »
Welcome Cathy :)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 08:22:53 am »
Hello and welcome Cathy.  :)

:D

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 09:37:36 am »
Welcome to the forum Cathy, now your adventure begins I have had my Thmx for over three years and it's still fun and exciting to use.

Offline CDGThatIsMe

• View Profile
So pleased to meet you! My name is Cathy
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 07:11:45 pm »
Hello everyone!!!

Thank you for giving me such a fabulous welcome!  My refrigerator did not have all the fresh ingredients needed to make even the simplest recipes... totally embarrassed. 

I eat healthy enough but apparently well enough!   Also, I would never have thought about the measuring spoon differences!!! 

I was really surprised at how compact this dream machine is but I am definitely overwhelmed.   I read a lot last night and taking in all the recipes too to figure out which ones to try out first.  I think the Butter, TM Vegetable, Chicken, and Beef Broth recipes seem to be staples that should be kept in the refrigerator at all times!!!

Thank you for asking about which cookbooks I ordered along with the TM31:  The Gluten-free for my husband (who was told he was a celiac baby by his mother) because of his stomach problems, the Everyday cookbook, and the My Way Cookbook.

We take care of a 92 year old Aunt who is sweet as can be.  This change of cooking and preparing will be good for her too!

I like European cooking because in my childhood years, we lived in France at my Great Aunt and Uncle's very self sufficient farm.  Fond Memories for ever! 

Going out for supper and then tomorrow, I'm shopping for the ingredients!!!  By the way, I like sweets but need to make them sugar-free if possible in this TM.  Does anyone do that?

TTYS (Talk to you soon!)
Cathy

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 03:19:05 am »
Hi and welcome :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 11:36:17 am »
Hi Cathy and welcome xox

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 10:59:47 pm »
Cathy, re your sweets question...
Any recipe I make I cut the sugar in half, regardless of what it is (ie cake, biscuit, dessert) and then if there is chocolate or dried fruit in it I then cut the sugar back to about 1/4 of the original recipe.

I know this isn't sugar free, but it might give you an idea.

There are probably sugar free recipes in here somewhere. And if you already have some recipes, then they'll be easily converted to the TM. Ask if you can't figure it out, we'll help!  :)

Offline MrsG

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 03:47:45 am »
Hi Cathy. I'm Cathy too. You'll love it, don't be afraid to experiment if you have time, my inventions are amazing!

Offline CDGThatIsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 04:38:55 pm »
Hi I'm back!  I'm happy to say I finally made great foods with my TM31:  Whipped Butter and Salmon & Brown Rice.   8)

More great tips!!!  Nikkit and MrsG thanks for your warm welcome as well!

Nikkit, I will definitely follow your suggestion about cutting the sugar and earlier in the thread,
judydawn mentioned the measurements of, Aussie tablespoon is 4 teaspoons, in America and the UK it is 3 teaspoons.

I followed the recipe for Butter (page 7 in the "Everyday Cookbook")  and after 3 minutes, it was thick cream.  I used "Heavy Cream" since I didn't see "Cream" anywhere in the stores near me.  I have to say I was worried that it didn't look like butter like the pictures and the directions.   By the time it finally separated, it was after 20-25 minutes.  (I checked every 5 minutes)  YAY!!!  What a proud moment!  It looked AND tasted like butter!  It is in the refrigerator for future usage.

The Salmon & Brown Rice was steamed with the Varoma!  (a youtube video was my inspiration)  Butter (my own preference) on top of the salmon, it was delicious!  I normally bake it but wanted to see how the steaming process works.  It is fabulous!  The Brown Rice was al dente and just as delicious.  My husband prefers soft rice. 

How does it work if I want to steam salmon and rice together but at different times for a meal?  Could I steam the rice first and after a time, add the salmon in the varoma?  The brown rice was inside the bowl strainer and the Salmon was in the varoma.

Today, I want to make a lemon tart!!!

Have a great day everyone!  I will start posting in the recipe and tip section since I'm in the cooking mode.  It seems I am thinking about what to make the very next day!  It is very exciting for me.

Cathy

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 07:27:32 pm »
How does it work if I want to steam salmon and rice together but at different times for a meal?  Could I steam the rice first and after a time, add the salmon in the varoma?  The brown rice was inside the bowl strainer and the Salmon was in the varoma.

You are correct Cathy.Start the rice first then pop the Varoma on top to cook the salmon to your liking.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 12:08:13 am »
Here's a good recipe if you want to use vegies instead of rice Cathy.  Here's another - my salmon pieces were small so I only cooked them 8 minutes.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2014, 01:17:08 am »
Go Cathy!!  ;D

As for your butter taking 25 minutes, that is odd! I have never known butter to take that long before, but it varies from brand to brand. I have found the Harvey Fresh cream here takes only a few seconds some days!
You need to have minimum 35% fat in the bream to make butter apparently. If you want it spreadable straight from the fridge you can add a flavourless oil to the butter. There'll be a recipe in here somewhere. (it also makes it go further too)

Enjoy cooking Cathy!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 01:41:14 am »
I thought that too Nikkit.  Cathy are you using cream near it's use by date or past it - this is the best cream to use for butter making.  Most of us pick up clearance cream dirt cheap for making butter and contrary to what some say, thickened cream works for me and others.

You might like to read Quirky Jo's butter making thread on her blog.  I see she adds both oil and water to make a spreadable butter, never tried adding the water before.  Has anyone done it this way?

Here's a thread discussing butter making that might help too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 06:01:24 am »
Cathy I often make things that have no added sugar. However they do have dried fruits in them to sweeten them. I'm not sure if that would be of any help to you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 09:34:58 am »
Hi Cathy and welcome to the Forum.  I am sure you will find lots of help and recipes here.  You have certainly found the right place to be.  Good luck with your new Thermie and all the conversions.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.