Author Topic: Mimosa Cake (with photos)  (Read 5258 times)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
Mimosa Cake (with photos)
« on: March 07, 2014, 10:10:27 am »

Hello girls,

Tomorrow is 8 March. So today I'd like to share with you this special recipe from Italian EDC: Mimosa Cake
What does it have to do with Women's Day you may think. Yellow mimosa flower is the symbol of 8 March Women's Day in Italy. it is a tradition for men to offer mimosa to their mothers, partners, female friends and colleagues.

This is an old recipe from the blog but I didn't have it translated. I finally did it a few days ago to share with you this women's day.

The recipe refers to 3 main ingredients in our italian EDC Book: Pan di Spagna (sponge cake), Pastry cream and whipped cream.
I don't know if you have them in yours so I will write all here.

HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY TO ALL YOU WONDERFUL FORUM MEMBERS!

:-* :-* :-*

Ingredients:

Pan di Spagna (Italian Sponge Cake)
Pastry Cream
250g whipping cream (35% fat)

200g pineapple juice
1 can of pineapple (8 slices)

Preparation:

PAN DI SPAGNA (SPONGE CAKE)
Ingredients:
4-5 eggs, at room temperature (260g)*
260g* flour
260g* sugar
50g water
1 sachet baking powder (15g)
A pinch of salt

* It is important to weigh eggs. The total weight of eggs should be equal to the weight of flour as well as the weight of sugar. In my case, my 5 small eggs weighed 270g in total so I used 270g flour and 270g sugar.

Preparation:
    Grease a 26cm round cake pan. Cover with baking paper.
    Put eggs, flour and sugar in TM Bowl. Set Thermomix for 50 seconds on Speed 5. After 25 seconds add water through the hole of TM Lid. After 15 more seconds add baking powder and salt.
    Pour the mixture into the cake pan. Bake in preheated oven at 160°C for 30-40 minutes. Check doneness with a toothpick.
    Turn the oven OFF. Let it cool inside the oven for 10 minutes.
    Remove from the oven, remove from the pan. Let it cool.

PASTRY CREAM
Ingredients:
500g full fat milk
5 fresh egg yolks
1 sachet vanillin (or 1 tbsp vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
60g potato starch (or wheat starch)
100g sugar

Preparation:

Place all the ingredients in TM Bowl. Cook for 9 minutes at 90°C on Speed 4.
    Transfer it into a bowl and let it cool. Use it at room temperature or cold.

Note 1: I find 50g of starch amount which is indicated in the original recipe too little. So I use 60g of starch (depending on the recipe even 65g sometimes).

Note 2: When I prepare this kind of creams, which have high amount of eggs or yolks, I make sure that I use newly bought extra fresh eggs. Otherwise, the cream smells too much of eggs.

Note 3: You can increase the cooking time a couple of minutes if you wish a thicker cream.

PREPARING MIMOSA CAKE:

Prepare your Pan di Spagna and Pastry Cream the day before.

Cut pan di spagna in half. Transfer bottom half into serving plate.

Brush bottom half with pineapple juice
    Spread pastry cream. Place pineapple slices.

Whip cream according to the recipe and spread whipped cream all over.

Break roughly the remaining Pan di Spagna into pieces. Put in TM Bowl and chop coarsely 5 seconds on Speed 5. Cover the cake all over. Serve.

Enjoy...

WHIPPING THE CREAM:
Ingredients:
250g fresh cream (35% fat) (COLD)

Preparation:
    Insert Butterfly in a clean and dry TM bowl. Add cold cream. Whip it for about 2 minutes on Speed 3.

Important Tips:   
    * The cream should be fresh and cold to get the best results!
    * Another important thing is that TM Bowl must be clean and dry. For the recipes that require several steps you may need to re-wash TM Bowl. In such cases it is important to wipe TM Bowl thoroughly before you start whipping.
    * If you use 500g of cream you will need to whip approx 2 minutes more.
    * Whipping time may change depending on the amount and the quality of the cream. While whipping you'd better always keep an eye on the cream through the hole of the lid and stop as soon as it is whipped enough!
    * While whipping don't go ever over Speed 3! Otherwise, you risk to end up with butter instead of whipped cream!

Adapted with a few changes from the recipe titled as Torta Mimosa in "Io e il mio Bimby", which is the Italian Guide and Recipe Book for Thermomix.

Photos: http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.it/2010/03/mimosa-cake-happy-womens-day.html

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mimosa Cake (with photos)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:44:14 am »
Happy Women's Day farfallina.
This cake sounds lovely. Thanks for sharing.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline matmob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:13 am »
Sounds delicious, but oh those hips.............................. :o

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 10:59:01 am »
Happy Women's day!
The mimosa flowers look just like the golden wattle flowers that are Australia's floral emblem. (The leaves look different though)
Your cake looks very pretty. Thanks for the recipe
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 06:16:32 am »
thankyou so much, sounds yummy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url