Author Topic: Rabbit Stew  (Read 22872 times)

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
Rabbit Stew
« on: September 11, 2008, 11:16:26 pm »
Name of Recipe: Rabbit Stew
Number of People: 4
Ingredients:

1 kg of rabbit, cut into medium pieces
100gr onion
100gr tomato
2 cloves Garlic
50gr bacon
30gr olive oil
1 stock cube
1 teaspoon of coffee powder
1 bay leaf
100gr of white or red wine
100gr water
salt & pepper

Preparation:

Place the onion, garlic, tomato, bacon pieces, and olive oil into the TM bowl. Chop for 10 seconds, speed 5. Then programme 7 minutes , temp 100, speed 1. Now add the rabbit, coffee powder and bay leaf and cook for 10 minutes , temp 100, speed counter clockwise. Finally add the stock cube, the water, wine and salt & pepper and cook for 15 minutes temp 100, counter clockwise That's it. What's up Doc!!

Nice with jacket potatoes or even just boiled potatoes and broccoli. You can even use sherry instead of the wine.

members' comments

JD - I substituted boneless chicken thighs (defatted and cut in half) for the rabbit in this recipe and it is the best main meal I have managed to do in my Thermomix.  I now have something I can serve up quite confidently to my guests and have passed the recipe onto my daughter to try.  I served it over rice with steamed green vegies but it would also go well with the beautiful mashed potato done in the TM.  I thickened it with cornflour and water, added at the end and total cooking time was 30 minutes.  Next time I will substitute the coffee powder with curry paste for a completely different taste and will do the original recipe again but will add some mixed vegies for a complete meal.  Thank you so much, I loved it.

CP - Tried the chicken thigh version and it has come up trumps. This is superbly tasty, and definitely will make this again -  9/10

Gralke -  made this rabbit stew with chicken thighs and turkey breast (which I added with the water/wine etc. and a few other changes due to lack of ingredients) and it was very nice!!! Thank you for a "working" recipe.

Chelsea - we all loved it.  I used 500g of chicken thighs and 500g of diced veggies.  I added carrot and celery with the chicken and then capsicum and zucchini with the stock.  I thickened it with some corn flour at the end.  Delicious!

Keri - I made the recipe with a rabbit.  Very tasty but a bit tough.  The rabbit was young.  I wonder if I should have slow cooked for a few hours.  How is the best way to do so using the TM. 

JD - Keri, I cook some dishes on 90oC for longer, slower cooking and that seems to work for me.

Yvette - Made this with chicken thighs and curry powder instead of coffee, nice flavours.

Nik2WIN -  even the children enjoyed it. It was really lovely and I'd definitely make it again. 

Chookie - used chicken and cooked for 10 mins less.  Easy, lots of flavor.  Needed to thicken a little at the end. Thanks for this MM.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:11:16 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Rabbit Stew
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:07:57 am »
Love rabbit and will have to try this.

The coffee is an interesting addition??  Where is the inspiration from for that?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:45:08 am »
As I love sweet and sour recipes (not just chinese) I decided to try it once. It was just instinct!!! LOL Let me know if you liked it

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 02:41:39 am »
There are a few recipes around at present with coffee - one with veal, another with lamb. There have been a few from up in the east of France I believe.  It certainly goes well with veal.

There have been venison with coffee and cocoa crumbs/"sand" from a couple of restaurants here in OZ too.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:26:28 am »
I substituted boneless chicken thighs (defatted and cut in half) for the rabbit in this recipe and it is the best main meal I have managed to do in my Thermomix.  I now have something I can serve up quite confidently to my guests and have passed the recipe onto my daughter to try.  I served it over rice with steamed green vegies but it would also go well with the beautiful mashed potato done in the TM.  I thickened it with cornflour and water, added at the end and total cooking time was 30 minutes.  Next time I will substitute the coffee powder with curry paste for a completely different taste and will do the original recipe again but will add some mixed vegies for a complete meal.  Thank you so much, I loved it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 07:57:37 am »
mmmm will have to try the chicken version!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 02:24:07 am »
Tried the chicken thigh version and it has come up trumps. This is superbly tasty, and definitely will make this again -  9/10
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 06:04:35 am »
Another nice sounding one to try.  :)

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 02:23:42 pm »
Hello again
Long time since I wrote a message, anyway I made this rabbit stew today with chicken thighs and turkey breast (which I added with the water/wine etc. and a few other changes due to lack of ingredients and it was very nice!!!
Thank you for a "working" recipe.
Barbara
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:37:29 pm by Gralke »
Barbara

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 06:48:41 am »
Welcome back - good work.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 01:27:37 pm »
I made this for dinner last night and we all loved it.  I used 500g of chicken thighs and 500g of diced veggies.  I added carrot and celery with the chicken and then capsicum and zucchini with the stock.  I thickened it with some corn flour at the end.  Delicious!

Offline Keri

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 09:41:38 am »
I made the recipe with a rabbit.  Very tasty but a bit tough.  The rabbit was young.  I wonder if I should have slow cooked for a few hours.  How is the best way to do so using the TM. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 01:21:32 pm »
You would think a young rabbit would be a tender rabbit wouldn't you Keri.  I cook some dishes on 90oC for longer, slower cooking and that seems to work for me.  I can't remember the last time I bought rabbit, they seem to be very large and very expensive here so I substitute chicken.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 03:01:42 am »
MM,  thanks for this .   I love rabbit and will definitely try this.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 12:30:25 am »
Made this yeterday with chicken thighs and curry powder instead of coffee, nice flavours.