Author Topic: Review of Alegria with banana ice-cream ITM2 Pge 170  (Read 2982 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Review of Alegria with banana ice-cream ITM2 Pge 170
« on: February 06, 2014, 10:38:10 am »
What is Alegria I hear you ask.  It's a no-bake, GF Mexican creation using puffed amaranth, puffed millet, shredded coconut, cocoa nibs, honey, zest of lime (I used lemon) and salt flakes. The biscuits can be eaten on their own or you can serve them as an ice-cream sandwich.

As Valentine's Day is approaching, I decided to make some heart shaped and some round ones using a 5 cm cutter.  I made 34 x 1cm thick shapes - the recipe said it makes 10 x 1cm shapes so they must have used a very big cutter ;D

I knew nothing about these ingredients, let alone having tasted any of them before but when HO sent me this book for Christmas, they also sent a few not so normal ingredients to make 4 of the recipes in the book. This was one of them and the first 4 ingredients listed above were in a specially packed bag. I've never tasted cocoa nibs before, picked one out and didn't like the bitter taste but once everything is mixed together in the TMX, that taste gets lost.  The first 3 ingredients are toasted in the TMX, removed then the honey is caramelised and everything else is then added to the honey.  

It's all a bit fiddly but not too bad.  It's the cutting of the ice-cream that becomes difficult.  The recipe makes a banana ice-cream but I just used a raspberry one I had on hand and I found myself continually putting these back in the freezer just to get a photo.  Not being able to wait any longer, this photo had to do and I have since eaten the 2 biscuits.  Certainly different but enjoyable at the same time and I guess they're healthy too.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:41:04 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Review of Alegria with banana ice-cream ITM2 Pge 170
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 11:56:14 am »
They sound very unusual Judy. Lucky you were given some of the ingredients. I do like the heart shape.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:12:50 pm »
They look nice Judy.
love the book holder - is it a common item?
:D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:06:44 pm »
Katie gave it to me for Christmas astarra - they seem to be out of stock at the moment but say it will be back soon.
http://www.thermomix.com.au/products/thermomix-accessories.aspx

Guess what I gave her for Christmas  :D   Not a Thermomix one though. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:19:50 pm »
Thanx Judy, hadn't noticed them before.  :-*
:D