Author Topic: Food glossary for Non-Aussies  (Read 46190 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Re: Food glossary for Non-Aussies
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2014, 07:14:38 am »
Cookie - you buy hemp seeds at the health food shop. They actually have  lot of benefits including omega-3's and are very good for you. Not related to the drug or similar to it.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2014, 07:21:56 am »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2014, 07:22:32 am »
Hemp is of the cannabis family, whilst the poppies smoked by the Myanmar is opium related.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2014, 07:28:10 am »
Here is something you may not know cookie but I am sure our  Tasmanian members may know....Tasmania is the worlds largest producer of opium alkaloids for the pharmaceutical  industry. It produces the concentrated poppy straw for morphine. Turkey is probably the next largest but way behind the Tasmanians .

Beautiful fields right down the middle of Tassie.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2014, 09:25:43 am »
Here is something you may not know cookie but I am sure our  Tasmanian members may know....Tasmania is the worlds largest producer of opium alkaloids for the pharmaceutical  industry. It produces the concentrated poppy straw for morphine. Turkey is probably the next largest but way behind the Tasmanians .

Beautiful fields right down the middle of Tassie.

Gert

There's a lot on the north west coast too, love driving past them they are so pretty.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2014, 11:55:14 am »
Yes I have seen them Gert. We were quite surprised at the lack of security for them. They are white poppies aren't they? Some of the ones in Myanmar were a deep burgundy/ red. I grow red poppies during the winter, not for smoking though.

May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2014, 11:11:12 pm »
I have a friend who has red poppies come up in their front garden and every year they are ripped out by their roots and stolen when they are "ready" !  :o

I didn't think they were the 'right' poppies, but someone wants them for either planting in their own garden or smoking.

I have red poppies in my garden (self sown every year) and had a 'do-gooder' here for dinner one night, (a ring in - no idea who she came with!) who not so politely told me that it was illegal for me to be growing "those poppies". There was about 50 people here, I'd had a couple of glasses (or 5) of bubbles, so for a bit of fun I started up a wee debate about poppies and the benefits of having them in my garden. My argument was that they are pretty, they survive on no love, I like them and they are pretty. Simple really - I thought. She didn't get that I was pulling her leg...She launched into all sorts of codswallop about poppies, (baffled me with a fair bit of bull dust actually, she really did know a lot about poppies! ) and I soon got tired of listening to her. 

She then started to get a bit personal, I thought we were having a friendly chat about pretty poppies! She got louder and louder and most people were stopping and starting to listen. I had to politely remind her that we were having a chat about poppies, not anything else and if she didn't like my poppies then she could head on up the track and go out the front gate and please don't come back. (that bit may not have been so polite)  ;D

Haven't seen hide nor hair of her since. Thank goodness.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2014, 11:37:55 pm »
Wish I had been there Nikkit. We would have had fun.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2014, 02:54:26 am »
Oh Gert, you stirrer.😘
I have Flanders Poppies come up every year, they don't produce opium( they are a special breed on their own although I do believe that the ones my Mum used to grow when I was young were the real thing back then we didn't even think about it.  )

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2014, 03:28:42 am »
I am sure we would have Gert!   ;D

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2014, 08:16:58 am »
Poppy fields are just part of life here in Tassie!  :) We don't really give them much thought.  8)
:D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2014, 11:22:46 am »
I love our red poppies. They were given to DD many years ago by someone at work. She threw them in thinking they wouldn't grow. They come up every year without fail. Quite beautiful.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2014, 11:30:10 am »
I love poppies too. I have a favourite photo on my wall of a very thin me cutting poppies with a stolen surgical scissors while  in a field in Portugal.

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2014, 11:33:49 am »
Sounds lovely Gert.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2014, 02:58:22 am »
So I made the cornmeal pancake this morning and you were right Gert. It's disgusting. Apart from that, it took forever and was too thick and I didn't even get one good one. It was just a big mess when I tried to flip it so I gave up and made vegan banana pancakes which were much nicer.