Author Topic: Making bread in a slow cooker  (Read 72925 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Making bread in a slow cooker
« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2014, 11:13:57 pm »
Best value for $20 I have seen for a while.  Glad you enjoyed the little loaf. I baked one before we went away on holiday and wrapped it in foil and froze it.  It was ready when arrived home.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Making bread in a slow cooker
« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2014, 12:58:59 pm »
I made Chookie's No Fuss bread tonight and baked it in my 6 litre slow cooker for around 1 3/4 hrs.  I was particularly happy with the way it turned out as my oven has well and truly died. :(   Now I'm wondering if I can bake a cake or some muffins in the SC .. ;D won't hurt to try!

Balls of dough in the SC

Lid on, heat to high...and away we go

The finished product ( unfortunately, can't brown the top as it can't fit under the grill.)

But the bottom browned nicely! :)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2014, 01:01:42 pm »
Wow GF I really didn't think it would be possible, they look great.
Are you getting your oven fixed or replacing it?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2014, 01:06:35 pm »
A great result GF with the SC.Sorry to hear your oven died.
Just a thought how about  Varoma Bread and of course there are steamed cake cupcake recipes here ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2014, 01:20:42 pm »
Dede,  the stove is now almost 30 years old and the oven has become quite dangerous (gas), and the grill takes forever to light properly.  I'm checking out recommendations from INAID to see what will fit in the space.  Ideally, I'd love an electric oven and a gas cooktop.  Things go in 3s they say.  Toaster died last week, oven completely died, Friday.... just waiting with bated breath to see what else is going to say "time's up!" Lol

CC, yes the varoma bread did come to mind. Thanks for that!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2014, 01:25:58 pm »
Oh dear GF, sounds like your due for a new oven.
My washing machine is broken down at the moment which is not great with 6 people in the house. My friends have been busy doing my washing for me the last week. My washing machine is only 9 months old and been fixed under warranty, but I have to wait 7-10 days for the parts to arrive. Needs a new motor and computer board apparently. They don't make them like the use to.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2014, 01:30:17 pm »
Love your bread rolls GF, it's great to be able to use an appliance in more ways than you think possible.  Most, if not all modern electric ovens these days have the griller in the oven (not as a separate compartment like the older ovens) so you'll be able to adjust the shelving to fit high things like your batch of rolls under it when you do replace your existing oven.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2014, 01:31:07 pm »
Wow, Dede!! A new motor etc after just 9 months!?! That's incredible! Hope the parts come in quickly and you can get back to normal. Good friends and neighbours are certainly a blessing!!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2014, 01:36:35 pm »
Yes I wasn't impressed. I brought a 10kg front loader washing machine to replace my 16 year old top loader washing machine that never had issues until the last couple years of its life. I purchased an extra 60 month warranty with this washing machines which means at any stage I can have it replaced with a brand new one, but once you opt to replace with a new one your warranty is then void. Better to have repaired at this early stage. At least it won't cost me anything for the next 50 months anyway.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Making bread in a slow cooker
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2014, 01:40:05 pm »
Dede,  the stove is now almost 30 years old and the oven has become quite dangerous (gas), and the grill takes forever to light properly.  I'm checking out recommendations from INAID to see what will fit in the space.  Ideally, I'd love an electric oven and a gas cooktop.  Things go in 3s they say.  Toaster died last week, oven completely died, Friday.... just waiting with bated breath to see what else is going to say "time's up!" Lol

CC, yes the varoma bread did come to mind. Thanks for that!

Oh GF did you check out the Scholtes?  I can't wait for mine to arrive. Maybe end of this week fingers crossed :) I like you are missing my oven!

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2014, 01:41:54 pm »
Thanks Judy.  It 'll be good to cook with a  "normal" oven.... One you can set the proper temp etc.  and not a  "one temp fits all" and have to creatively adjust times etc. good fun!!  Unfortunately, now the gas doesn't light completely (if that makes sense) and has become dangerous. I guess it had to happen sooner or later ....

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2014, 01:45:37 pm »
INAID.... I get to check it out tomorrow.... I found a distributor but just couldn't organise the time before this..... That being said, it's amazing what you can do when you have to .....lol

Dede.. Good thinking to get that extra warranty! Still, major repairs like that so early in the piece are a worry!! Good luck with it all!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2014, 01:53:20 pm »
I know I have a big family and a lot of washing (probably twice as much as an average family) but I would hope for no issues for at least 3 or 4 years would be expectable. Hope once fixed then all is ok.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2014, 02:01:36 pm »
GF,  rolls look good. You can turn them upside down in the SC to brown the top.  Only thing is it flattens the top a bit. 

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2014, 02:05:44 pm »
Thanks Chookie!  That would have been so simple to do and it didn't even occur to me to do that..... I'll certainly do that next time! :)